Re: APEX Season 2 Crashes Every game

by OrioStorm

Original Post

Re: Apex Legends Crash no error - PC (apex_crash.txt)

★★ Novice

It's doing that every time I launch the game and I'm just completely unable to play it. 

I've done ALL methods even spent over 2 hours with an EA representative and there seems to be no solution.

Message 481 of 1,214 (953 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

When we release a patch, we might change content or optimize code paths so that we use the graphics driver in a different way. It's possible for these changes to expose a pre-existing bug in the driver. There's a chance we're doing something wrong, but unfortunately, we have absolutely no information to go on about what Apex code interacted with this driver code. And if we were doing something wrong, DirectX should give us an error code rather than crashing in the driver. So, in my experience, driver crashes are usually the driver's fault, even if they only show up after a game's patch.

I much prefer it when a crash is something we can fix.

Message 482 of 1,214 (961 Views)

When we release a patch, we might change content or optimize code paths so that we use the graphics driver in a different way. It's possible for these changes to expose a pre-existing bug in the driver. There's a chance we're doing something wrong, but unfortunately, we have absolutely no information to go on about what Apex code interacted with this driver code. And if we were doing something wrong, DirectX should give us an error code rather than crashing in the driver. So, in my experience, driver crashes are usually the driver's fault, even if they only show up after a game's patch.

I much prefer it when a crash is something we can fix.

Message 483 of 1,214 (1,012 Views)

★ Apprentice
@OrioStorm Seems that disabling "Origin in Game" might fix the issue. Played 3 games in a row and didn't have any issues.
Message 484 of 1,214 (1,003 Views)

Re: Apex Legends Crash no error - PC (apex_crash.txt)

@YAMETE-NAKADASHI, another engineer looked at your crash with me and I think we may have a workaround for you. If you add "-sw" to the arguments in your shortcut, you should launch the game in windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode, and I think that will bypass the code that is crashing.

It should run in windowed mode with whatever resolution you last had at fullscreen. Once the game is opened, you can use "Alt + Enter" to go fullscreen.

This looks like a bug that was introduced in 2.0. IT's an unfortunate side affect of a fix for another bug, which was much less serious. We should have it fixed in the next patch or two.

Message 485 of 1,214 (1,001 Views)

@SplitterRO glad you've found a workaround!

Message 486 of 1,214 (989 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@OrioStorm chrashes with error "look error log  in apex_crash.txt" every game. Help me, please Standard smile

Message 487 of 1,214 (970 Views)

@TwitchReikonNeko, that's a crash in our networking code. I've forwarded a bug on it to the engineer most familiar with that code.

If you are getting a lot of crashes, I'd like to see any other dumps to see if they're all the same or not.

Message 488 of 1,214 (921 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@OrioStorm 

Hello, can you take a look at my crash log? it said Apex crashed in atidxx64.

Thank you!

Message 489 of 1,214 (903 Views)

Re: Crash every Game

@Regalhobo that is an odd crash. The OS says that Apex crashed with EXCEPTION_PRIV_INSTRUCTION, which means we tried to execute one of the few instructions that only an OS is allowed to do (for machine security). However, the instruction at that address is simply "movaps", which is NOT a priviledged instruction. I double-checked the exceptions that "movaps" can throw, and it doesn't say anything about priviledge level. The most likely cause for it to throw an exception is that the address is not 16-byte aligned, but I can tell from the dump that the address was aligned.

Do you have any other dumps?

Message 490 of 1,214 (898 Views)