Re: Apex Legends Crash no error - PC (apex_crash.txt)

by JorPorCorTTV

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@OrioStorm Thank you very much!

I knew it had to be a bug.  I guessed (if you look at one of my posts earlier) i mentioned some sort of internal bug.

I guessed this because you remember, I mentioned "internal parity error" right?

That error is the "bug" happening and then being corrected by Error correction (ECC).

If you decrease the voltage even lower, you get a "Translation Lookaside buffer" error (instead of just internal parity errors), so these bugs are happening somewhere possibly in the TLB area (all CPU's have them), in an instruction register, but NOT in the "L0" cache (L0 cache is basically some sort of register also, almost like a bridge between the cores and L1 cache).

The only way we can fix this is to contact Intel.

They will need to release YET ANOTHER microcode patch which can fix this bug.

Can you please document your findings, if possible, and see if you can either contact Intel, call their 800 number, or post on one of the Linux / Debian developer threads so that this bug can be sent to Intel?

This is NOT in any way similar to the Pentium "DVID" bug F00F bug, as that was an instant 100% guaranteed crash, or maybe it's more similar to that Skylake FFT bug, where certain prime number FFT sizes would crash the processor.  (this was fixed in a microcode update).

I'm just a gamer so I have no access to Intel.  But since you are a developer, you may be able to reach them.  Reference the crash threads on these forums and hopefully this will be escalated to a "high priority" bug, since SOME users with stock CPU's are encountering this also.

These are the only links I can give you to help get this addressed by Intel

Their tollfree tech number of course (you will have to somehow reach their programming department, good luck with that)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

(Intel):408 765-8080

(and some 800 number but there seems to be a business to business relations link only)

https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28727/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File

*Edit* a number that works:

(916) 377-7000

Message 111 of 1,214 (1,472 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@OrioStorm I know it's a post bump, but I contacted Intel on the phone, talked to some technical guy and explained that there may be an internal flaw or microcode bug in the 7600k-9900K processors (not sure about older Haswell or HEDT), and referenced your posts and the other thread in a followup email reply.

Let's hope they identify a code sequencing bug or something similar to that Skylake Prime number FFT type bug, can replicate it and it can be fixed in a microcode update.
Hopefully either you or Intel will find some way to establish communication so the processor team has a go at it.

Message 112 of 1,214 (1,431 Views)

★★ Novice
Im also mostly getting the 2F2DCA crash, sometimes I get another one but for the most part its just that one

Specs: 8700k OC to 4.9GHz, RTX 2070 and 16GB 3200

Crashes every other game. Some days it doesn't crash at all. On my 6700K build at 4.8GHz, never had a crash.

Temps in game on the 8700K are around 50c along with GPU. I use the 8700K build for heavy video editing with 3D rendering from time to time with Premiere Pro and After Effects. Neither of those programs give me any issues what so ever, but Apex seems to not like something and crashes.
Message 113 of 1,214 (1,361 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Drop the overclock down and it should stop crashing. Was running stable at 5GHz and never had issues with anything, but with Apex crashing all the time with the same error you stated. Dropped mine to 4.4GHz and never crashed. I brought it back up to 4.8GHz and I have yet to crash still and it’s been roughly 25 hours of gameplay. I reset my bios completely so all settings were default. I disabled EIST and Turbo Boost. Then set the fixed OC and left everything else default this time around. Have not had an issue since. It’s an overclock issue with Intel CPUs and some instructions that Apex runs. Sucks, but man I’m happy I haven’t crashed at all and really only sacrificed 0.2GHz. I can live with that.

Message 114 of 1,214 (1,310 Views)

★★ Novice

I can understand that, but with everything else I do on my computer, I will not be dropping my overclock for a free to play game. I lose nothing by not having a great experience except my time. I paid for the cpu, so getting everything out of it means more to me than playing the game itself.

Message 115 of 1,214 (1,298 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thats definitely fair. Though if you wanted to play the game, I could see you dropping from 4.9 to 4.8GHz and be fine. This is believed to be an Intel issue. Even though Intel supports overclocking there are far too many settings and changes with overclocking that isn’t covered by Intel otherwise they supply documentation on it. Their CPUs are working perfectly fine under their specifications and therefore I do not see this issue with their high end CPUs being fixed, but we can only hope. I’ve never had a single issue with any piece of software, hardware, or games when at 5GHz and yet something in Apex triggers a crash when Intel CPUs are clocked overly high. Read the rest of this thread if you haven’t yet, one of the programmers for Apex has given a lot of greatness insight on it. Hope this helps. 

Message 116 of 1,214 (1,289 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

You can use Throttlestop 8.70 to lower the clocks while in windows.  Then when done playing Apex, just set them back up again (you can even save the lower clocks to a profile, and the original clocks to the default profile (#3 IIRC).

Message 117 of 1,214 (1,285 Views)

★★ Novice

Ive read through all of the posts so far in the thread and it's clear that for now, my crashing probably wont be going away until I lower the overclock, and if thats the case, I wont be playing. And thats fine.

Funny thing is, the game ran completely fine until I used Rivatuner to cap the frames and after which is when the crashing occurred. Stopped using rivatuner and crashing stopped for a few days and now its back to doing it every other game or so. Like I said before, some days it plays fine and I have zero issues, some days it's not. Basically a coin flip.

Message 118 of 1,214 (1,283 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yea it pretty much sounds the same as the rest of us that are getting this crashing. Like I said before if you still wanna play the game you’ll likely be unable to tell the difference going from 4.9 to 4.8GHz, but that’s your choice. Doesn’t hurt to try it if you’re willing. You don’t have to play the game, and I almost quit myself cause I was sure it wasn’t the overclock causing the issues, but after extensive testing and help from others on the forums it’s definitely the overclock. Haven’t crashed or had a single issue with the game after roughly 25 hours of playing now. At the end of the day it’s your choice man. 

Message 119 of 1,214 (1,256 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have 8700K OC as well and keeps crashing. I think the problem isn't the OC, it's the game code/latest patch. Before the last patch I didn't crash at all.  Revert an OC for one game is inconvenient for me, I'll probably just stop playing.

I play games far more demanding like BF1, R6 and others with no crashes. I play older games and games on Source Engine (that Apex uses) and no crashes as well. And I'm not mentioning my 100+ single player games that I've played with no problems at all. They've just messed something up at the latest patch.

Message 120 of 1,214 (1,492 Views)