Re: Apex Legends Crash To Desktop Without Error Message

by FeelsTimmyMan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Apex Legends Crash To Desktop Without Error Message

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

The Problem:

I am able to launch my game completely fine every time. The problem for me comes in after I drop from the ship. Most times I'll crash sometime during the drop, but the crash can happen anytime throughout the game. The game closes to my desktop and there is no error message.

EDIT: In more detail, from what I see, the crash begins whenever my game freezes. I am still able to hear the sound from the game, but my screen becomes frozen. This usually lasts for about 5-10 seconds before my game fully closes to my desktop, leaving me with no error message. This is all I can see when my game crashes, but from my friends standpoint, they don't see that I have left the game until about 15 seconds later. If I am dropping from the plane, my body just falls straight down, not in the way of holding W and going straight down, but in the way of as if you jump out of the plane and never touch a button. Even when I am jump master and going full speed, when I crash, the speed immediately drops to the lowest and my other two teammates fall straight down. If I crash after I've already landed, my body just sits there for 10-15 seconds until my loot appears.

EDIT: I have recently discovered a possible cause for the crashes. Whenever I am playing the game, I have realized my GPU utilization is maxed out at a constant 100%. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason for my crashes, but it could be a factor. I have already attempted running the game on the lowest settings to lighten the GPU load, but it doesn't seem to change. My GPU utilization still stays maxed out at 100%. If anyone knows of a way to lighten the GPU load other than the in-game settings, please respond with the answer.

What I've Already Tried:

• Turning off the game DVR in windows registry
  • Editing the easy anti cheat service to take no action
  • Clean installing both origin and apex
  • Using DDU to clean uninstall and reinstall my driver
  • Rolling back to previous drivers
  • Turning all my settings down to the lowest
  • Verifying game files
  • Updating the game
  • Running both the game and origin as administrator
  • Running the game in both windows 7 and 8 compatibility
  • Trying out different command line arguments in the advanced launch options such as -novid
  • Turning off any unnecessary background processes
  • Probably a few other things that I can't remember because of how much I've already done

EDIT: I have also attempted every possible solution in this this thread https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Community-Crashing-Troubleshooting-Guide/td-p/7447308 Nothing worked for me, but some of the possible solutions may work for others having the same problem.

PC Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
  • GPU: AMD RX 580 8GB
  • SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive)
  • HDD: WD Black 1TB (2013) x2
  • RAM: Crucial BLS8G4D240FSB.16FBD 2x8GB
  • MBD: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977)
  • PSU: Corsair CX750M

EDIT: I have also attached my DxDiag and for more information.

Conclusion:

If there is any fix you know of that I have not already listed above, please reply and let me know. This has been going on ever since I downloaded the game the day after release. I love the game and I am trying to keep playing, but this is constantly preventing me from doing so. Thanks!

EDIT: I looked into Event Viewer and found the log that correlates to the game crashing. Turns out that there is an error message (Only if you check Event Viewer) that reads "bad_module_info" and I have provided it in the spoiler below.

Spoiler
Faulting application name: bad_module_info, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x00000000
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x3650
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4ce0eab08432c
Faulting application path: bad_module_info
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 9e2ebe72-633e-4314-8fc3-cb4416538c4a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

If any community manager could look into this for a fix, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been working on a fix for a while now and I know many others with similar issues.

Message 1 of 55 (21,174 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Apprentice

This is a Possible TEMPORARY Solution!

The Cause of the Crashes:

I believe I have discovered the cause of the crashes. They seem to be occurring due to GPU overload because I have been viewing MSI Afterburner and the Performance tab in Task Manager, which both show a constant 100% GPU utilization rate. With my Radeon RX580 8GB and most other users' GPUs, we should not be having this problem; especially for a game like this. This problem is occurring due to a issue with the game, and not our systems. I know Respawn is working hard and I hope they will be able to solve this in the near future.

The "Solution":

First off, this probably isn't the solution most users would like to hear, but it's all we have at the moment and it's the only thing that has worked for me after working to find a solution for 30+ hours. Also, I'm not saying this will work for everyone experiencing crashes; although, if you're getting the "bad_module_info" error message when looking at the Event Viewer, and you're GPU utilization is maxed out at a constant 100%, it most likely will. You've probably already attempted turning down your settings, or setting an fps cap, but you must do both of these simultaneously. Go to Origin, right click Apex Legends in your game library, select Game Properties, go under the Advanced Launch Options tab and type "+fps_max 60" in the Command Line Arguments text box. Now, open Apex Legends and under the Video tab in settings, turn everything down to the mid-range option. If you're already using these settings and still crashing, try lowering them even more. As I said before, you're probably not going to like this solution, especially if you have a high end GPU. Before, I could barely even play one full game per 5 games, but now I am able to play without crashing and although I might not be getting the best FPS or video quality, at least I am able to play the game. I am going to continue to do this until Respawn finds a fix, hence the header "TEMPORARY Solution." and I hope this works for anyone else having this problem.

For now, I will be marking this as the solution to this thread until a better fix is found.

View in thread

Message 47 of 55 (18,335 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

yeah me too

Message 2 of 55 (21,160 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue.

Its kind of weird, because I also have a 6th gen I5 and an AMD RX card.

I wonder if it's something to do with the GPU. 

Message 3 of 55 (20,942 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It could be. You would think AMD would release a driver by now if that were the case. I’ve tried updating my driver to the newest but it doesn’t seem to work.

Message 4 of 55 (20,908 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Im having this same problem ive played 3 games and all 3 games iv crashed i cannot play this game i have a amd Radeon R9 380

Message 5 of 55 (20,898 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have an GTX 1050 TI 4GB, and rarely, my game crashes. Before writing this post, I was just playing an mach where only 3 squads were remaining, and after being downed by a guy, I used my knockdown shield and it crashed to the desktop. But for me, its a rare case to happen.

Message 6 of 55 (20,882 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I'm facing the exact same issue and Yes my graphics is Aorus RX 580 too.
Message 7 of 55 (20,795 Views)

★★ Novice

Same here, crashes without message error to desktop

This is so frustating

Tried a lot of things too, windows compatibility to w7

disabled origin in game

update game, drivers etc

I have a RX480 4go and i5 4690k oc'd

Message 8 of 55 (20,671 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Can I ask that anyone seeing this issue would try the steps from this help article: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Community-Crashing-Troubleshooting-Guide/td-p/7447308

If nothing works then please get back to us with your DxDiag: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 55 (20,633 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Darko
"memory could not be read"

Message 10 of 55 (20,625 Views)