Apex Lagging but no FPS Drop

by KeoniFRFX

Original Post

Re: Apex Lagging but no FPS Drop

★★★★ Novice
@OoShellshock Alright, I think I'll try to cap the frame rate on the start up for Apex as I think that's the problem. It only starts lagging when my GPU hits 100% utilization, and my VRAM doesn't go over 5, it either stays there or stays at around 3.5 to 4.5.
Message 21 of 27 (707 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@OoShellshock So I did some testing with frame capping Apex and it seemed like it did the trick. I frame capped Apex at 143 frames and I didn't lag once in the firing range after messing around for about 15 minutes. My GPU was at around 90-99 and RAM at around 4,500 MB, VRAM at around 5.5, but I didn't lag once. I did an experiment and frame capped it at 130 FPS and got a lot better results. My GPU hardly went over 89, like it barely hit 90, and when it did it quickly went back down to around 60 - 80. My RAM usage was around 2,500 to 4,000 MB, almost never reached 4,000 but did a couple times. My VRAM was still about the same, about 5.0, but gradually lowered and got higher as I played, just around the 5.0 range. Granted I was only in the firing range for about 10 minutes and haven't actually played in an actual match yet, I'm planning on doing that tomorrow as I'm kinda tired. Hopefully this fixes it, and if it does, thank you for your help.
Message 22 of 27 (679 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @KeoniFRFX good to see that it appears that you are getting to the bottom of the issue. 

It's important to remember that high Vram usage isn't necessarily a bad thing and if the game requires more ram than your Vram then you can see issues with frame rate drops as it is using system memory resulting in it having to shift things like texture between Vram and ram. 

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 23 of 27 (662 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko seems like i still ended up lagging even though I was fine in the firing range haha. I was playing a match today and lagged when my ram hit 5000 mb for some reason, crazy numbers. My VRAM was about 5.1 i think, so that's probably why it started lagging. How can I prevent my ram from going so high? Cuz i think the problem has to rely on the game using more system ram than VRAM.
Message 24 of 27 (636 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @KeoniFRFX if your Vram is below the minimum the game requires to run then it will use your system ram also. If seeing an issue with lagging then the best thing to do is to lower all settings and resolution.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 25 of 27 (624 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko I have 6 gigs of vram, all my settings are already the lowest, this only happens with apex legends, as i said before.
Message 26 of 27 (604 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@KeoniFRFX The typical only reason a game would use more RAM than normal is if you run low on VRAM and the game compensates by using more RAM. Or there could be a memory leak in the game's coding, which is very doubtful. I don't experience this issue however, but it could be related to specified hardware such as GPU. What you could do is type "advanced system settings" in windows search and then open "settings" under performance and click "Change" under virtual memory. If you have an SSD, I would recommend you to set the paging file to it and make sure it's system managed. Also delete and freshly install the newest GPU driver. When I play I haven't seen the game go over about 3.5GB RAM usage. But I have a 8GB GPU, and the VRAM isn't close to being used up. Make sure your RAM isn't at about 90% as well.

Message 27 of 27 (581 Views)