Re: Crashing

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Crashing

★★★ Newbie
i have 12 gb of ram and 16 gb of VRAM with only discord running on my pc, but the game still crashes every 5 mnutes or so, I've watched my task manager and at the time of the crash it only uses about 60% cpu and 60% of my 12 gb of ram.
---------------------------
Apex Crash - Out of Memory
Apex crashed because it ran out of memory.

The most common causes of this are:

• "Texture Streaming Budget" is too high in your video settings. Lowering this can help.

• All other programs plus Apex combine to use too much memory. Quitting other programs can help.

• Your Windows page file is set too small. Increasing the page file size can help. (The page file lets Windows move less important memory to disk until it's needed again.)

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
• Apex was using 2.6 GB of physical memory.
• Apex was using 5.5 GB of virtual memory.
• Apex failed to allocate 2.0 MB of memory.

• Your PC has 12.0 GB of memory physically installed.
• Your PC has 128.0 TB of virtual memory (with the page file).
• After Apex exited, your PC memory load is about 37%.
Message 21 of 40 (3,268 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @colbykris

Thanks for the details!

Do you remember ever making any changes to your Page File settings in Windows? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 22 of 40 (3,234 Views)

★ Novice

I'm finding an identical issue and what I have in common with the previous posts is the supposed 128 terabytes of virtual memory which is obviously wrong. Disabled page file altogether and problem should be solved-ish.

Apex Crash - Out of Memory
Apex crashed because it ran out of memory.

The most common causes of this are:

• "Texture Streaming Budget" is too high in your video settings. Lowering this can help.

• All other programs plus Apex combine to use too much memory. Quitting other programs can help.

• Your Windows page file is set too small. Increasing the page file size can help. (The page file lets Windows move less important memory to disk until it's needed again.)

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
• Apex was using 2.6 GB of physical memory.
• Apex was using 4.9 GB of virtual memory.
• Apex failed to allocate 540.0 KB of memory.

• Your PC has 8.0 GB of memory physically installed.
• Your PC has 128.0 TB of virtual memory (with the page file).

Ctrl+C in this window will copy this message so you can paste it as text.

OK

Message 23 of 40 (2,755 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @RedFasterNow

Just to make sure I understand correctly, are you still getting the same error after disabling Page File, or did that help with the issues you were having? 

Kent.png
Message 24 of 40 (2,740 Views)

★ Novice

What appears to have solved the problem for myself is to disable the page file on the partition that both Origin and Apex (and operating system) are installed on. As others have mentioned I have no explanation other than something changing in a Windows update.

In my case there is a C, D, and E drive. C and D exist on the same physical drive, E is its own device, and the page file on D and E are system managed. C has working software installed with page file disabled. No further issues.

If it's worth knowing C and D share a high capacity SSHD and E is a low capacity high performance SSD that I only use as a workspace from time to time and I have to say my system stability is pretty good in general. No complaint, I just wanted to share what worked for me.

Message 25 of 40 (2,717 Views)

Community Manager

@RedFasterNow 

Good to know, thanks for sharing this!

Kent.png
Message 26 of 40 (2,703 Views)

Re: Apex Crash - Out of memory

★★★ Newbie

Im sorry i dont understand the solution. Im about to quit this game cause it is imposible for me to play it crashes allllll the time and this started a week ago. i was running this fine for years and now I cant

Message 27 of 40 (2,694 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Kent Im sorry i dont understand the solution. Im about to quit this game cause it is imposible for me to play it crashes allllll the time and this started a week ago. i was running this fine for years and now I cant
Message 28 of 40 (2,694 Views)

★ Novice

Okay so it's not a solution 100% because I have still seen the crash happen one time since but to put it simply your page file should be set to System Managed and if you have more than one partition or drive it is better to disable it entirely on the partition you have Apex and your operating system installed on, assuming it is the same one.

The error message basically says Apex is detecting like 120 terabytes of total virtual memory which I am sure you don't actually have. I'm not an expert so I don't know why but something must have changed in a Windows update again. There are many guides on the internet explaining how to do this and if you still crash frequently then I don't know what else to say but to keep looking for answers I guess.

Message 29 of 40 (2,673 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found another solution that is simpler and without moving so much in folders and files, or content that you don't know what it is.
and it works if it doesn't let you play any kind of game.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-to-increase-virtual-mem...

In this link it explains more how to solve that detail, for my taste it is very simple and so far I have no problem in it and the game goes with the same quality and the same performance without actually moving the graphics.

if anyone has the problem today. works 2021

Message 30 of 40 (2,308 Views)