Re: Antivirus programs reporting r5apex.exe as malware

by AGJ_Helmet_5

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

Same is happening with my AVG, I will wait till there is a patch fixing it.

Message 31 of 54 (2,133 Views)

★ Novice

Just go to antivirus' trash can, select the last file removed (check that's r5apex.exe), open the menu and select "restore file and add to exception"

U'll be able to play again without repairing game from the client.

Hope this works, it works for me

Message 32 of 54 (2,123 Views)

error R5apex WIN10

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello, I have a problem with my Apex Legends, which says: "Windows is looking for the R5Apex.exe file. So that you can find it yourself, click Search"
https://prnt.sc/p5ec3w

Whenever I open Apex, this happens and when I go to the Apex folder "Origin games" - "Apex"

the error "R5Apex.exe"

it looks like this: https://prnt.sc/p5ecj9
the file is not in the right "format"

Does anyone have any idea how to tidy up?

http://prntscr.com/p5f6r1 help ?

Message 33 of 54 (1,539 Views)

★★ Novice

exactly, you can make an exception like people here say but i dont want to ruin my computer or anything, i wouldnt want to risk it... because of this havent played apex today :/

Message 34 of 54 (2,061 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Go into Avast and look in your chest. The file will be there just simply select restore and it will put the file back.

Message 35 of 54 (1,947 Views)

Re: Avast is thinking r5apex.exe is a malware

★★★ Novice

this happened to me as well so what i did was that i went to the avast window and went to protection on the right hand side which brings up multiple things, and in the top right, there is something called "virus chest" and then i hit more on what it thought was a possible malware and did restore and make an exception and then the game worked fine

Message 36 of 54 (1,626 Views)

★ Novice

My concern is also that. 

Message 37 of 54 (1,763 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Thez0 To answer your question.. And as the EA Staff posted.. that these issues happen from time to time.. meaning that in the world of coding.... a single slip in coding could result in a issue like this can trigger anti-virus software making it think it is a virus or malware issue. Its one of the things that can happen when it comes to coding any kind of software.

EX: (And I am no software dev). Say the correct code in one part of the file is {(CODE)}...... The dev can easily have made a mistake and put {(CODE))...... And the file could still possible work correctly with no issue.. ... But then the Anti virus software might have scanned it and saw it being off... then flagged it as a possible virus or Malware,
Message 38 of 54 (1,677 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

What you are referring to will trigger a compilation error on compiled language, and an exception on interpreted language, which has nothing to do with what we are experiencing.

There is two ways to trigger an antivirus:

- Behave like a malware. The heuristical analysis engine of the antivirus, scan running softwares and spy their behaviour, if something is suspicious, it is

classified as a malware/virus.

- Look like a kown virus, by having the same signature. Because some virus can be recognized by the footprint  (repeated patterns in the executable).

The last patch trigger AVG either because it behave like a malware, or because it has a virus signature. The worst case can be that Respawn have been hacked, and

a malware has been injected into the game. So being doubtful about it is totally justified.

Message 39 of 54 (1,622 Views)

Hey all!

They are aware of the issue about the false positives.

Till they fix this issue, i'll leave here the steps how to add Apex as a Exception.

If this file is set in quarantine, flag it as false positive.

Avast:

1. Open the Avast user interface
  2. go to Settings
  3. Click on General
  4. Find the tab Exclusions
  5. Add: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\r5apex.exe" here.
    This should most of the time be the location Apex is installed.
  6. Press "Ok" and Repair Apex Legends.

AVG:

1. Open de AVG user interface
  2. Click  Menu and go to Settings.
  3. Locate yourself to General then click Exceptions.
  4. Now click Add Exception and paste here:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\r5apex.exe" 
  5. Now click Add Exception and now Repair Apex Legends.
CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 40 of 54 (1,579 Views)