Anthem crashing on start-up

by Akyren

Original Post

Anthem crashing on start-up

★ Novice

Hello to whom it may concern,

Whenever I launch Anthem, the game loads up, shows a black screen, then crashes after a few seconds.

This issue only persists with Anthem and no other game I run on origin. In regards to other platforms, my Pc is able to run everything from League to WoW just fine with other clients.

However with Anthem, it seems the game launches for a few seconds than crashes.

Are there any fixes to this?

I have been looking forward to playing this game, however it is near impossible to try and support a game that doesn't want you to play.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Origin and Anthem and have performed a numerous amount of fixes.

At this point, I feel like it may be best to just give up. A refund is not possible as I bought digital download version in-store.

Message 1 of 6 (939 Views)

Re: Anthem crashing on start-up

Hero (Retired)

Hey @Akyren

Sorry to hear about this.

There are a few steps you can try:

1. Turn off the Origin in-game Overlay in Origin, and any other Overlays you might be using such as Discord

2. Clear Origin Cache: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

3. Run Origin and Anthem as Administrator

4. Clean Boot: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Try these steps, and let us know if you still need assistance.

Thanks Standard smile

- iluminate

★ Novice

Hello there,

I thank you for the quick response.

I have attempted all those fixes previously to no avail.

Nevertheless, I tried them again, just to be safe yet the problem still persists.

For more clarification.

When I launch the game, the 'Anthem' window pops up in windowed mode; there is a black screen than the game closes.

No other game fails to work except Anthem specifically.

Thank you in advance.

Message 3 of 6 (919 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hey @Akyren

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with those steps.

Are you running the latest version of Windows? I believe it's 1809.

Also, have you tried creating a new Temporary Windows User Account, and trying to launch the game under that Account?

Thanks Standard smile

- iluminate

★★★ Newbie

Okay so first i went to task manager and right clicked anthem. Then i clicked on details and it pretty much changed the format or whatever. Then i set priority to high which i dont think it did anything because its working now and the priority is currently normal. Then i right clicked and pressed Analize wait chain. their where 4 options that i could check mark. Now that it is working there are currently 2 options. its like a tree. i clicked the bottom two options check marking them and confirmed end process on both of them. Right after that my pc crashed hard. blue screen and barcode and all... so i held the power button and emergency shut off everything! i come back and start it up again thinking i royally screwed the pooch this time but No!! i am currently playing the game with No problems!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks and i hope this works for everyone else!!!!!

Message 5 of 6 (695 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@OFks2Give Anthem was running at the time just stuck on black screen btw.
Message 6 of 6 (694 Views)