[Anthem] PC extreme stuttering and FPS drops [UNPLAYABLE]

by NahushBhat

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

[Anthem] PC extreme stuttering and FPS drops [UNPLAYABLE]

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I am experiencing extreme case of graphics stuttering and constant FPS drops since the last patch 1.0.2. My PC specs are as follows:

NVIDIA GTX 1070Ti 4GB
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60 GHZ
8 GB RAM  (I have since upgraded to 16 GB to no avail)
500 GB SSD
1080p

Here is a video I recorded which shows the issue: VIDEO

The game was running in HIGH settings with post proc set to LOW. I have looked up some info from other forums and one suggestion to disable "OriginWebHelpService" from the Processes tab in Task Manager was also tried. It did not make any difference to this stutter. In fact, the video above is after disabling that service.

Observations:
1. The PC is capable of handling even Ultra settings, as that is the default suggestion by NVIDIA experience. I can make out that the issue is not actually related to GPU at all, since it can push 100 FPS easily in HIGH settings, especially during in-game cutscenes. 

2. V-SYNC is set to OFF, as with it on, the FPS would drop even lower
3. I tried the game in even MEDIUM and LOW settings but the exact same issue persists which suggests to me that it is unrelated to hardware capability and something to do with sofware bugs.

4. Both my CPU and GPU are well below throttling temperatures, almost flat-lining around 58 C to 63 C.
5. CPU clock speeds are spiking up and down though... but this also occurs when I play Destiny 2 (no glitches, runs at 75 FPS in HIGH)

EDIT: Others below are reporting the same issue. Please see the video to understand exactly how it occurs. The glitch and stutter will also persist within Fort Tarsis location.

EDIT 2: @ThePuristGamer suggested turning AA off, along with some more changes which seems to be resolving the issue for many. 

EDIT 3: I have set everything to LOW, turned VSYNC OFF and ON, disabled all extra graphics settings and completely disabled AA. Yet, I get 100% CPU utilization on all 6 cores with continued stuttering no matter where I am in the map, even in Fort Tarsis. I do not believe it is a case of hardware bottlenecking as every other game on my PC plays at 100+ fps on high settings. This is 1080p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 4: I found a good discussion on reddit with some solutions. Please take a look at the link Reddit Thread

Message 1 of 260 (40,056 Views)

Accepted Solution

Betreff: [Anthem] PC extreme stuttering and FPS drops [UNPLAYABLE]

★★★★★ Novice

Had exactly the same issue since launch with a very similar setup. My advice. Just go play something else.

View in thread

Message 236 of 260 (29,476 Views)

All Replies

Re: [Anthem] PC extreme stuttering and FPS drops

★★★ Apprentice

I'm getting the same thing since last nights patch.

Message 2 of 260 (39,964 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

hello I can say that I have a little after
the same problem I play the game and the game this
mat has rowing to wind up to 30 fps and then all alone that it is
you pass I thought the beta was better that this no?

here my confg 

I7 6700

16gb ram

amd vega64

windwos 10 

Message 3 of 260 (39,909 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It's virtually unplayable I wish they'd rollback the patch.

Message 4 of 260 (39,854 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same here. I badly want to continue the campaign but now it makes me grind my teeth when I exit Fort Tarsis. I wish the developers look into it soon otherwise Im claiming a refund.

Message 5 of 260 (39,846 Views)

Re: [Anthem] PC extreme stuttering and FPS drops [UNPLAYABLE]

★★★★ Novice

Hey buddy i fixed this completly by turning AA off. Turning effects to low and setting texture terrain and veg quality to high....all other settings i kept at ultra. Ambient occlusion is HBAO. Stuttering is almost 100 percent gone even in the most intense areas on freeplay. Anti aliasing in this game is straight broken it doeasnt look bad off but if u dont like it u can go to NVCP and set the texture filtering to high quality to help. I hope this fixes someone issue. I watched your video and its way more extreme then what i was experiencing but Definitly the same thing. Let me know if this solves the problem for you.

Message 6 of 260 (39,829 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I see you said that you tried setting on low and the problem still persisted....if you have any hardware monitoring software running close it....MSI afterburner caused this problem for me as well.
Message 7 of 260 (39,826 Views)

★★★★ Novice
This is with ryzen 7 2700x gtx 1080 16gb ram.
Message 8 of 260 (39,826 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@ThePuristGamer wrote:

Hey buddy i fixed this completly by turning AA off. Turning effects to low and setting texture terrain and veg quality to high....all other settings i kept at ultra. Ambient occlusion is HBAO. Stuttering is almost 100 percent gone even in the most intense areas on freeplay. Anti aliasing in this game is straight broken it doeasnt look bad off but if u dont like it u can go to NVCP and set the texture filtering to high quality to help. I hope this fixes someone issue. I watched your video and its way more extreme then what i was experiencing but Definitly the same thing. Let me know if this solves the problem for you.

Hey PuristGamer, thanks for the inputs! I am currently at work but will try the changes you recommended and report back. Here is a summar:

Turn AA Off,
Disable Hardware monitoring software,

Effects to Low

Message 9 of 260 (39,800 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I sincerely apologize for not being more clear. I read enough of these to know better. The steps as follows
AA off
Ambient occlusion HBAO(HBAO full with 20xx cards)
Texture quality high
Veg quality high
Terrain quality high
Effects low
Lighting effects high (ultra with 20xx cards)
Post processing ultra (lower if nessacary)
Mesh quality ultra(lower if nessacary)

I was having a stutter identical to your caused by msi afterburner monitoring software. After closing the software there was a smaller less noticible stutter there that was fixed with these settings. I get 70-90 fps in freeplay and there is rarely a stutter lowest fps i see is low 60 in the worst part of tarsis i call the bazaar where all the merchants are. Happy gaming brother!!!!

Message 10 of 260 (39,792 Views)