Re: Another Frametime Spike Thread

by Arc-ODN

Original Post

Another Frametime Spike Thread

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I've been working on this problem for months now and tried a ton of different fixes.

I have an issue with frametime spikes when playing Apex Legend but not other games. What is interesting about my problem is that my frametime spikes occur like clockwork; its predictable (see attached). I was wondering if anyone has seen this before. If so, is it a hardware issue?

The Rig:
GPU - EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming,8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans Graphics Card 08G-P4-1071-KR (Undervolte... ~2000MHz Core Clock, 7500MHz Mem Clock, Undervolt @ 975Mv)

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  (OC-4.2GHz at 1.35v)

MOBO - MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port WiFi Crossfire...

RAM - G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (OC 3400 MHz)

PSU - 650 watt Corsair 80+ Gold.

The computer is stable and cool. Frametime,ms spikes still occur when everything is set to stock.

I've tried:

Stock, Overclocking, and Undervolting

Different configurations for virtual memory

moving and reseating RAM

Running ISLC

DDU Nvidia graphics drivers (Newest and older versions)

Update Windows via Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Messing around regedit (think usual "Apex improvement" video on YouTube, nothing advanced)

disabling HPED

unparking CPU cores

and a whole lot of other things I've forgotten over the past month.

One thing I've noticed is that my RAM usage is in the 7500's MB when other games (with no stutter) sit around 4500-5000 MB. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Let me know what you think. I'll be checking back!

Thanks for any insight or help.

Message 1 of 7 (779 Views)

★★★ Novice

Talked to a buddy of mine. not sure if he's a computer genius or anything but he said it might be a "memory leak" He said there is not much you can do about it.

Message 2 of 7 (753 Views)

★★★ Novice
I just added more sticks of RAM. It seems to have lessened the severity of the spike... but it still occurs like clockwork.
Message 3 of 7 (726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Statues update: I dialed back my OC by about 5%, got rid of all the cool guy .cfg settings and moved the game to my C: drive  and it has gone to this (see attached). Does anyone have any insight into this behavior? It's a little less predictable, and it is now accompanied by smaller spikes (not very noticeable).

Message 4 of 7 (704 Views)

★★★ Novice

Another status update: I've tried a few things out. I've wiped and restarted windows. I started messing with RivaTSS. The attached is at lowest graphic settings, 1024x768, with frames limited to 60fps. It is pretty smooth, just have these intermittent spikes.

I started to think that it has something to do with the latency of the server so I also tried a tunneler to see if I could stable out my connection with the server. This also did not work.

Anyway I'll keep anyone interested posted... any help is welcome.

Message 5 of 7 (670 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Arc-ODNWell another day with fooling around with this issue. I was way more analytical today and was monitoring my CPU. Its max usage was the 4th core at 97% but usually hovered around 40~60. My temps were between 45 and 50 C. I'm not sure if its me or the game... I did about 20 different "fixes" such as switching things on and off in windows, regedit, command prompt, etc, and changing the voltage on my CPU and RAM with no luck. What I can say for certain is that it occurs every 1 min and 15 seconds. I'm going to check this thread again tomorrow to see if anyone has an idea.
This 70ms frametime spike has gotten me killed a couple of times and I'm at the point where I'm just going to go do something else. I tried Respawn/EA.

Message 6 of 7 (645 Views)

★★★ Novice

No dice again for another day. Calling this game/thread DOA. Thanks to anyone who stopped by.

Message 7 of 7 (620 Views)