Re: Android 11, pixel 3, game crashing

by Mister_Crac

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Ok, more information to (hopefully) help your dev team. I hope they know that I understand how difficult it is to track down some bugs, and I'm trusting that they are doing the best they can to find the trigger.

On the latest Android 11 security/feature update, which appears to alleviate some of the problem. Now crashes are only at the 4th (sometimes 3rd) match in a row, including replays. (If the 3rd doesn't crash, it is very "hitchy") If I clear all apps in memory, and close and clear out CnC after every second match, I can string together games without crashes. (current no-crash streak at 14, restarting after every 2) I was noticing other apps (Pokemon Go, On X) that are resource intensive had similar hitches (though without crashing) and those instances also lightened up after the update. Unsure if this is a memory management issue, but with other reports I've seen of performance issues in 11 on Pixels, I'm wondering if there is something broken on the Android side of things?

I don't want to have this written off as simply Google's fault, but all variables should be considered. No other app I use is crashing, even if it exhibits the hitching/janky performance at times. Hope all of that info helps.

Thanks again for continuing to track the issue down. Also, thanks to everyone on here lending more voices to this issue. Knowing it is not a one-off issue helps the devs to figure things out.

Rock on.

Message 21 of 41 (838 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Well, not all is rosey. Just had a crash right after a full reload as described in my last post, so maybe things are not as nice as hoped. 😔

The hitching caused some delays in the game right before, which was pretty insane lag, so that loss was lame as well. Stepping away again in hopes your team can right this ship.

Have a pixel 5 on the way in a couple weeks. Hoping it's not across the board on android 11. 😐

Message 22 of 41 (824 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue, pixel 3aXl. Driving me to quit playing the game all together unfortunately. This has gone on for over a month and I still log in daily like a crazy person expecting something to change. Please fix this because Google is not doing anything on their end to explain or fix the problem

Message 23 of 41 (787 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Cade, a month later: any change in the status on this?

Message 24 of 41 (781 Views)

★★ Novice
@sojrner No but The description given above in this topic was very well articulated. Problem is persistent and even doing a factory reset has not changed the outcome
Message 25 of 41 (775 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This issue is also impacting my ability to play this game.
This is the hottest topic on the board, but the silence is very clear.

Message 26 of 41 (757 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

In fairness, tracking and fixing boss like this can be tough. As long as they're continuing to hunt for it, I can trust them... But I do agree the current silence is frustrating.

Message 27 of 41 (749 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Unsure if this has gone dormant, if investigation is still happening, or if I'm just being a clanging cymbal. @EA_Cade: Looking for some confirmation on any movement for this issue.

Updated information: I have now spent the weekend on a Pixel 5, and while (what I assume to be) the increased RAM does (appear to) allow the game to run without crashing in Android 11, the hitching/stuttering is still present. I'm assuming that if this phone had any less than 8 GB (like many phones) it would still be crashing during each of the hitch-moments. The stuttering is very annoying and detracts from the experience. For most cases, I deal with it, but there are times when I select things during a stutter and the selection doesn't register, or it registers on the item next to it. You can imagine how in a fast-paced match that can cause issues.

Any word on a solution for this? We all appreciate your continued support of this game.

Message 28 of 41 (719 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Somebody posted this information on Reddit, maybe it helps:
Anecdotal Fix to Crashes on Android 11 on Pixel Devices 

Message 29 of 41 (707 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Good information to know. I'm now on a new Pixel 5, and while I'm not crashing, the game still hitches throughout the run. Obviously this is a new battery, so it doesn't appear to be only on older devices with worn batteries... but it's all good info to have. Thanks for that!

Message 30 of 41 (701 Views)