Re: Adaptive Resolution FPS Target capped at 60 after graphics card upgrade

by EA_David

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Adaptive Resolution FPS Target capped at 60 after graphics card upgrade

★ Novice

After replacing my GTX 680 with a R9 290, I have not been able to set my adaptive resolution target above 60. Before this change, the slider went to 144. This changed after installing the new card and clicking recommended settings in video options.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled my new graphics card, done a repair on Titanfall 2, and played around with settings on the card and in-game with no success.

Processor (CPU): i7 920
Graphics Card (GPU): R9 290
Memory: 16GB
Operating System: Windows 10

Message 1 of 6 (13,612 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Novice

Switching back to the 680 solved it. Textures also look better than they did when I initially used the card as well. Don't know if that has anything to do with that ini change or not; after bumping my target back up to 144 my frame time values stayed at the 6830/7042 that I changed them too with the 290. Thanks for all the help.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (13,667 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@CardiganMcSwank  Hmmm, looking into this some people get a cap of 144, whereas others get the 60 cap, so it might be related to the video card, perhaps 200-series cards don't have some required particular technology. The card in question is newer and more powerful so that would be odd, though.

You can try disabling the adaptive resolution (set it to 0), does that run smoothly if you're uncapped?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 6 (13,592 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Unfortunately no, even at lower settings the game can get choppier than it was on the old card (with adaptive res at 144).

Message 3 of 6 (13,584 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@CardiganMcSwankLooking into this, the max cap does seem to vary with hardware. On my work PC, for example, the cap is 75. 

The only other thing I could think of would be to change the frame timing variables if you're comfortable doing so. It's a little more advanced than what we'd normally do and it's at your own risk, but it might help.

If you look in My Documents\Respawn\Titanfall2\local you can find the videoconfig.txt file and open it with notepad. You'll see 2 variables for frame timing,"setting.dvs_gpuframetime_min"  and  "setting.dvs_gpuframetime_max".

funvithconfigfiles.PNG

In this case, a single unit seems to represent  microsecond, a millionth of a second. The values are high so it's easier to think in milliseconds (thousandths of a seconds)

If I set the target value to 20, I get a min/max variable of 47500 and 49000. This would aim for a frame about every 47.5-49 milliseconds

If you increase the adaptive target cap to 60, I get variables of 15834/16333. This aims for a much smoother experience with a frame every 15.8-16.3ms. 

Now I can't guarantee this would work, but perhaps if you manually tweak the values in your config file then the new cap will be applied in the game.

142Hz (the refresh rate listed on your monitor) would have a frame timing of about 7042 microseconds, or 7 ms. The game seems to leave about a 3% difference between the min and max so perhaps setting the values to 6830/7042 will allow you to play at the adaptive resolution cap that you want.

If this does work you can try tweaking it to get your optimum setup, finding the desired frame time variable is as simple as dividing 1,000,000 by your desired framerate. 

Again, I can't  guarantee this will work, it may just not take or the game may fail to run. I also advise you to make a backup of the config file before making any changes.
However i hope this does prove useful, please let us know how you get on either way. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 6 (13,563 Views)

★ Novice

Switching back to the 680 solved it. Textures also look better than they did when I initially used the card as well. Don't know if that has anything to do with that ini change or not; after bumping my target back up to 144 my frame time values stayed at the 6830/7042 that I changed them too with the 290. Thanks for all the help.

Message 5 of 6 (13,668 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the update, so it seems that swapping hardware was necessary. 

You mention that the timing values aren't changing, so if you ever have problems with this (say you want to lower the cap) you should be able to delete the relevant file, it'll just create a new file from a default template. 

Anyway, thanks again, if you have any further issues please don't hesitate to let us know. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 6 (13,537 Views)