Re: ActivationUI Application Error on BF1 launch

by Zoticus77

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ActivationUI Application Error on BF1 launch

★★ Novice

Hello.

I am unable to launch Battlefield 1 (trial). 

When I do, ActivationUI.exe is launched (visible in task manager), but after some time, ~ 60 seconds, I get an Application Error, "The application was unable to start correctly" code 0xc0000142

ActivationUi error msg

My system well exceeds the minimum specs (DxDiag attached).

I have tried the following:

- restart PC

- give BF1.exe, BF1trial.exe and ActivationUI.exe administrator privileges

- disable windows defender

- disable windows firewall

- grant exception to ActivationUI.exe for windows firewall

- repair the MS Visual C++ redistributable

- un-install and re-install the MS Visual C++ redistributable

I will launch a repair on BF1 before bed, as it looked like it would take hours to complete that action.

This is obviously very disappointing to not be able to launch the game after signing up for EA access and pre-ordering BF1. 

A solution would be very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 5 (3,838 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Zoticus77 Hey, can you try a reinstall of Origin itself, then take another shot at launching the  game? Be sure to grant Origin any permissions that it requests when you perform the reinstall. 

Also, just FYI the reinstall won't necessitate a reinstall of your game(s) so you don't need to worry about that. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (4,346 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Interesting, as I have pretty much identical specifications, but I didn't have this issue... have you updated the GPU driver recently? I know that driver is one of things that can cause this error. Currently the most recent Nvidia driver for 1070 is 373.06.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 2 of 5 (3,824 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply.

I updated the GPU driver and GeForce Experience just prior to installing BF1 (Thursday night). 

I'll see if there is a new one today, and I may try rolling it back and see if it makes a difference.

thanks for the suggestion. I'll post later with an update on if it helped (I'm still at work right now).

New Info: I was able to download and launch Dragon Age: Inquisition this morning, which also uses ActiviationUI, but I think it's a different version (it has it's own copy of the exe in [game directory]\Core\

-Z.

Message 3 of 5 (3,812 Views)

Community Manager

@Zoticus77 Hey, can you try a reinstall of Origin itself, then take another shot at launching the  game? Be sure to grant Origin any permissions that it requests when you perform the reinstall. 

Also, just FYI the reinstall won't necessitate a reinstall of your game(s) so you don't need to worry about that. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 5 (4,347 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to play on Friday night, but have no idea why. The only difference between Thursday night and Friday night was installing + launching Dragon Age: Inquisition. 

If the issue re-occurs I will re-install Origin.

Message 5 of 5 (3,784 Views)