AMD Driver Crash/DirectX Error Regardless of GPU Load/Settings

by Jehmimah

Original Post

Accepted Solution

AMD Driver Crash/DirectX Error Regardless of GPU Load/Settings

★ Novice

Platform: PC

Issue: Consistent display driver crashes regardless of settings or GPU load.

Issue is not reproduced easily on systems other than mine. It's possible this is an issue with the R9 390 specifically, as I saw someone on reddit mention crashes and he was using an R9 390. This crash seems to be independent of graphics setting or GPU load. My GPU load fluctuates between 80 and 100, most crashes seem to occur at 100 GPU load.

Reproduction: Load into a game, play for approximately 5 minutes, then the display driver crashes as well as the game.

Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz

GPU: AMD R9 390 Non-OC

Memory: 16 GB

Drivers: 15.9.1 Beta Driver (Crashed on 15.9 as well, upgraded due to crashes).

Do you think upgrading to window 10 might help? Was this game made with windows 10 in mind?

Message 1 of 8 (4,039 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: AMD Driver Crash/DirectX Error Regardless of GPU Load/Settings

★★★ Newbie

I seem to have found a workaround. When the game starts up DO NOT press enter. Instead press Alt+Enter to switch the game into window mode. If you press enter now it should bring you into the menus. From there set the game to run in Fullscreen Borderless from the video settings.

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (3,995 Views)

All Replies

Hero

I have an R9 390 as well with beta driver 15.9.1 and I'm experiencing no such issues. This is on Windows 10, but I think that shouldn't matter.

When you installed the 15.9 update, did you upgrade from an official release driver? If so, was it a clean install? When going from an official release driver to a beta driver, you have to make sure you first uninstall the previous driver version completely.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 8 (4,015 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am also receiving this error. Graphics card AMD Radeon HD6950 running on 15.9.1 Drivers 64bit beta drivers. I was also receiving this error with the stable release drivers. I have tried to run Battlefront in administrator mode to no avail.

Message 3 of 8 (4,006 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I seem to have found a workaround. When the game starts up DO NOT press enter. Instead press Alt+Enter to switch the game into window mode. If you press enter now it should bring you into the menus. From there set the game to run in Fullscreen Borderless from the video settings.

Message 4 of 8 (3,996 Views)

★★★ Novice

What Taco wrote above does not resolve the issue for me.

Message 5 of 8 (3,972 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yup, running in windowed borderless seems to fix it for me. HD 6870 1GB, the game runs 60+ fps on 1080p low settings.

Message 6 of 8 (3,950 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Worked for me.Thanks.

Message 7 of 8 (3,947 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes!!!! This do work..... Try it. I have a AMD 6900 series HD with 2 GB and it was the only thing that worked after messing with the drivers or an hour to no a vale.

Start with Alt Enter NOT Enter. Good job. 

Message 8 of 8 (3,412 Views)