4k LG TV - Madden 19 - Weird Issue

by Otrees

Original Post

Re: 4k LG TV - Madden 19 - Weird Issue

Community Manager

@CrockD@Otrees@poquest33@taylors102704@blindrhythms

Can you guys check if you can disable/alter HDMI 2 support or maybe try using an HDMI 1.4 cable?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comments/94cygp/how_are_you_guys_on_pc_getting_around_the_dolby/

Thanks @EA_David

barry.png
Message 21 of 99 (2,630 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry wrote:

Can you guys check if you can disable/alter HDMI 2 support or maybe try using an HDMI 1.4 cable?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Madden/comments/94cygp/how_are_you_guys_on_pc_getting_around_the_dolby/

Thanks @EA_David

I can go to tv and turn off the hdr function for that input.  And I can change cords. But let’s take a step back here. We are talking about turning off hdr functionality on an hdr tv. We are talking about trying to doable Dolby vision on a Dolby vision tv. We are talking about using a more outdated hdmi cord.

All for one game. Because other hdr game and Dolby vision content on the tv works fine. It’s just his game. It forces people like me to play in windowed or to totally power down my pc by unplugging it from the back of the pc. EA, I’m not trying to be mean. I’m 41 so it’s not my first time around the block with computers or 4K tvs. 

This issue is with this game only. Turning off functionality on my tv for one game can’t be the answer EA is proposing?

Message 22 of 99 (2,626 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Couldn't agree more poquest33's response. If I am being asked to try to disable HDR on my 4K tv, or to use an outdated hdmi cord as a troubleshooting technique that is designed to isolate the problem and develop a potential fix then that's fine. If I am being asked to do these things as a "solution" for one game, well I'll enjoy all my other HDR content and games and leave Madden on the shelf.
Message 23 of 99 (2,620 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I update my GPU drivers very regularly but I will check to see what version I have when I get home because I just saw this under the fixed issues section in the release notes for 08/01/2018 driver release (Version 398.82) (I'm running nvidia 1080)

 [GeForce GTX 1080]: Dolby Vision no longer works after updating LG TV firmware to 4.70.x. [200420847]

I'll check when I get home at lunch, update if it needs to be and test out the game and report back with my results.

Message 24 of 99 (2,611 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Unfortunately as expected I did have the latest driver for the 1080. My tv is a 65C8PUA and I noticed the firmware version is different to the one listed in nvidia's release notes above (it is up to date). It's possible this problem exists across a number of LG products with different firmware and nvidia has yet to release a fix for them.

I will submit something to both LG and nvidia in the hopes that it can raise their awareness of the issue.

In the meantime from EA's standpoint it seems to me that the best option for their customers would be to offer the option to turn HDR off in the settings. I'm aware this is almost certainly not as easy as adding a button, but if the development time isn't too egregious this would provide a stop gap measure until LG or nvidia address the problem.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here is experiencing this issue with a non-nvidia GPU.
Message 25 of 99 (2,581 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I've got to echo what poquest33 and CrockD have said, being asked to swap cables or alter a TV's functionality for a single game is asking a bit much. I do understand that you want to eliminate every possible angle in hopes of finding a solution and I would be willing to help test your suggestion for that reason. Sadly, I don't have an old HDMI cable and as far as I can tell my LG TV doesn't have a setting that would allow me to change an HDMI port to 1.4 like that reddit user's TV.

I can and have tried disabling wide color gamut/HDR as previously suggested and have tried the other ports on the TV to see if the one my PC is connected to was somehow faulty and that didn't solve the issue either.

Also as others have said, this is the only game I have the problem with. If this were an issue with even one other game then I would think my TV or even my Nvidia card were in need of an update or a possible repair/replacement. I am curious about what CrockD said and perhaps it is the pairing of an Nvidia GPU with an LG TV causing this. It would be great to hear if someone using an AMD card has the same purple or black screen.

Message 26 of 99 (2,234 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry wrote:

Thanks @EA_David

I'm not sure why my last post was removed for being spam. Again I just want to say that I share what poquest33 and CrockD have said and that I would love to test your suggestion, but sadly, I don't have an old HDMI cable nor does my TV have a setting to change a port to 1.4 as far as I can tell.

Message 27 of 99 (2,555 Views)

★★ Novice

How am i.supposed to do that your game broke my tv it doesn't work anymore.

And btw this doesn't just happen with hdr it's any mode when put in full.screen

Message 28 of 99 (2,524 Views)

Turning on some form of hdr?

★★★ Newbie

First and foremost Madden 19 on pc is not supposed to support hdr. When I load it up it turns on my tvs (ks8000) hdr and creates these horrendous colors that are not in fact hdr but headache inducing. When I go into my pc settings and actually turn on the hdr functionality (display settings) and (nvidia control panel chroma subsampling 10 bit color) Madden 19 then turns off the hdr that it is trying to run. I have confirmed at least 1 other person having the same problem with a different tv. I reported the bug around a week ago and still no fix, Virtually makes the game unplayable.

Message 29 of 99 (2,513 Views)

Re: Turning on some form of hdr?

Community Manager

@nugssss@Otrees@taylors102704@blindrhythms@CrockD

Until we have some news on this, it appear that playing in Windowed mode is the way to go.

barry.png
Message 30 of 99 (2,479 Views)