by ninedot

Original Post

Accepted Solution

100% GPU Usage

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Battlefield 1
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug GPU usage jumps to 100% when it would usually be around 85%,  Framerate drops from solid 120 FPS to around 80.
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play
What happens when the bug occurs? Poor performance
Please select your region Europe
In what game mode did the bug occur? Team Deathmatch
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD R9 290X
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB

Product: Battlefield 1
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug GPU usage jumps to 100% when it would usually be around 85%,  Framerate drops from solid 120 FPS to around 80. (NOTE MAXFPS SET TO 120 IN .CFG)
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? play
What happens when the bug occurs? Poor performance
Please select your region Europe
In what game mode did the bug occur? Team Deathmatch
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD R9 290X
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB

Message 1 of 6 (9,279 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: 100% GPU Usage

★★ Novice

Update:

It seems that switching between DX11 & DX12 at some point causes the graphics settings to reset to AUTO, this in turn caused all my settings to go to ULTRA

this caused the increase in load and decrease in FPS performance I was experiencing. 

FYI : DX12 currently causes crash at map loading screen.  

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (11,483 Views)

All Replies

★ Apprentice

I'm guessing you're new to PC gamming. BF1 is a demanding game, a 100% load on your GPU is perfectly fine, in fact ideal. As long as your temps are ok (sub 80c). It's a good thing it's being fully used. 100% on you CPU however is arguable another matter.

Message 2 of 6 (9,263 Views)

★ Novice

So, to elaborate on the previous post, its not a "good" thing... it just means that your GPU is being fully utilized, which should be expected. In other words, if you're not getting 100% usage, something is wrong (or you have loads of money and are practically playing the game on a server - or quad titan x +++ system). 

But as previous post mentioned, 100% CPU, for most mid to high end cpus for this day and age is rather odd. Don't get me wrong, its definitely not just you (if you suffer from this issue). But no game that I've ever played has maxed by CPU and to me this is just poor netcode. 

Message 3 of 6 (9,251 Views)

★★ Novice

Nope

I should have made it clear 

I have my MAX FPS capped at 120 so its good if GPU usage drops when its not needed/required.

Message 4 of 6 (9,240 Views)

★★ Novice

More info:

My MAX FPS is capped at 120. So it's normal for the GPU to have a rest between frames when there is plenty overhead.

Message 5 of 6 (9,238 Views)

★★ Novice

Update:

It seems that switching between DX11 & DX12 at some point causes the graphics settings to reset to AUTO, this in turn caused all my settings to go to ULTRA

this caused the increase in load and decrease in FPS performance I was experiencing. 

FYI : DX12 currently causes crash at map loading screen.  

Message 6 of 6 (11,484 Views)