100% CPU since season 3

by iqronavirus

Original Post

Re: 100% CPU since update

★★★★ Novice

Bumping thread for visibility, as we have still not received any confirmation of the issue nor any sort of reply from Respawn regarding this, and thread was about to fall off of first page.

Message 31 of 66 (1,136 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

This is a fix for Apex freezing/crashing with last rendered frame and Windows still running. CPU stuck at 100% and no crash file generated. I posted this originally in Reddit. Just reposting here for more visibility.

Finally figured out a solution!!!!!

You can only allow up to 4 cores to function on your cpu. You must change the usable cores to 4 or less in your bios. When Windows boots you can confirm by looking at your Task Manager under the Performance tab. Cores should be listed as 4 or less.

The -maxthreads 3 or 4 command does not work as suggested by Scriptacus from Respawn. This is what led me to try and disable cores manually in the bios.

I played continuously yesterday for about 2 hours after doing this. First with 3 cores enabled and then about 1 hour with 4 cores. Before doing this, Apex would crash/freeze within 2 games or less. The screen would freeze and I would have to manually reboot or create a new desktop to open task manager to end the Apex process. Windows was still running fine, but the way the game freezes makes it extremely hard to end the process. When doing so there were no crash reports.

My comp specs - 9700k, 2070 GTX Super and 32GB of ram. Not overclocked and XMP Profile 1.

Tried many other suggestions like changing AVX offset to 2, disabling Windows gaming mode features, turning off gsync, lower all video settings in game, turning Multi-Core Enhancement to off, reinstalling/repairing Apex and anti-cheat software. Non of these changes made any difference and I would still experience the game freezing frequently.

I suspect that older processors don't have this problem because most of them only have 4 physical cores. That is why AMD users with newer processors are also experiencing this problem along with the majority of 9700k Intel users.

Message 32 of 66 (1,093 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

A Respawn dev on Reddit with the username Scriptacus, recommended setting the apex launch options to "-maxthreads 3" or "-maxthreads 4". I tried "-maxthreads 4" and it has dramitically cut down on the crashing of my i7 9700k. In the last 10 hours, I have had one crash. Here is a link to the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/dbyrjo/season_3_bug_crash_megathread/f27kzxd?utm_sourc...

Message 33 of 66 (1,095 Views)

★★ Novice

Used -maxthreads 4, still get crashes

Message 34 of 66 (1,034 Views)

Hey guys.

There should be coming a patch soon that will fix this issue.

You can follow the progress on: Dev Tracker

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 35 of 66 (1,022 Views)

★★★ Novice

Try -maxthreads 3 until the patch comes out tomorrow. I was getting constant crashes but now it is a lot better.

Message 36 of 66 (990 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Zeelmaekers it's cute from the devs but it's been over a week
Message 37 of 66 (940 Views)

★★ Novice

Tried -maxthreads 3 and still get 2 hangs in less than an hour.  Guess I am out of commission until a patch comes... Destiny 2??

Message 38 of 66 (924 Views)

★★★ Novice

That sucks, they are working on the fix. Scripticus said three hours ago "Nope, that wasn't the fix. We are still working on getting it out ASAP, but ran into a snag."

Message 39 of 66 (918 Views)

I also have this problem and it's annoying but the only thing we can do is wait.

Sometimes technical are issues complex and take longer to fix.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 40 of 66 (877 Views)