Re: would this computer support Sims 4: ASUS VivoBook 14, AMD Dual Core R3-3200U

by Maria15660677

Original Post

would this computer support Sims 4: ASUS VivoBook 14, AMD Dual Core R3-3200U

★★★ Newbie

ASUS VivoBook 14 Thin and Light 14" HD, AMD Dual Core R3-3200U, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 10

Message 1 of 10 (10,525 Views)

Re: would this computer support Sims 4: ASUS VivoBook 14, AMD Dual Core R3-3200U

@jennyinka999  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 tech section.

This computer would run the base game, and it could probably handle an expansion pack or two on low settings.  (Game and stuff packs would be fine.)  But any more than that, and you'd have a lot of trouble.  While the processor is somewhat weak for TS4, and the graphics card wouldn't handle high settings, the biggest issue is the memory.  4 GB RAM isn't nearly enough to run all Sims 4 packs, even if you didn't do anything else while playing.  While the base game would be fine, if you were looking to buy a bunch of EPs, you'd really need 8 GB RAM to play properly.

It wouldn't be an immediate issue, but 128 GB isn't enough storage either.  You could fit TS4's program files if you only installed a few packs, and your saves, but even then space would be tight.  You certainly couldn't download anything else, not even your music collection.

If you're shopping for a new computer and would like help picking out something, let me know.  Just list your budget and country, as well as anything else you'd like to do with the computer, like play other games, or store other data.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (10,512 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you that's very helpful!

I won't be getting any expansion packs. I mostly use my laptop for work, school and streaming, not too much storage other than a bunch of excel, word and pdfs.I do carry it around a lot and want something light weight at 14".

I live in Canada and I'm aiming for under $400, max $500. I've been considering the following; which do you think is the best dollar for value?

As well if you have any other alternatives, it would be appreciated!

I've been trying to choose between the following lap tops:

The Asus vivobook: https://www.amazon.ca/VivoBook-Light-R3-3200U-128GB-Radeon/dp/B07RWJY3ZQ/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=laptop...

HP elitebook 1040 g2: https://ca.refurb.io/collections/hp-laptops/products/hp-elitebook-folio-1040-g2-laptop-intel-i5-5200...

and the GP 9480m between these:https://www.amazon.ca/Refurbished-HP-EliteBook-i5-4310U-Certified/dp/B07FWJG9LZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25UX...

https://www.amazon.ca/HP-EliteBook-Professional-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B073V3SY93/ref=sr_1_5?crid=...

I really appreciate it!

Message 3 of 10 (10,487 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jennyinka999  Honestly, it's hard to find a good laptop for under $500 Canadian (or $500 U.S., for that matter).  As you've probably noticed, the new offerings are light underpowered models that aren't capable of much more than surfing the web and playing back your movies.  Sims 4 isn't particularly demanding by the standards of modern games, but it does need decent hardware.

On that note, I found this, for $460:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-latitude-e6540-i7-4800mq-8-gb-ram-240-gb-ssd-15-6-1920-x-1...

It has a much better processor than any of the models you listed and a dedicated graphics card that was pretty good in its day, even if it's old now.  It also has a solid state drive, which will make Windows run much faster.  And it comes with a 1 year warranty, which is as good as you're going to get in a refurbished model.

I know it's 15", not 14, but there are very few laptops smaller than 15" built with strong enough hardware to support gaming.  Those that are tend to be somewhat more expensive.

The best newer refurb I could find is this one, which has slightly weaker hardware, or rather, its hardware is weaker than the previous model if you assume everything is still in working order.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-15-da0032ca-laptop-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-ram-2tb-hd-webcam...

Amazon's selection in your price range was less than impressive, and the other site you linked wasn't any better.

If you have other companies whose offerings you'd like me to check, feel free to link them.  But I would guess that the selection would be about the same, or not as good.  If the size does really make a difference, I can look again, but I would guess that you'd end up having to compromise even more on the strength of the hardware.

And of course if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Message 4 of 10 (10,473 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict I've just gotten an asus vivobook 14. I don't have any packs or expansions I only have the base game on sims. I just want to be completely sure before I download origin and play sims that my laptop isn't going to get broken or be majorly slowed down or anything, I'm just paranoid because it is brand new. Are you sure the sims with and packs or expansions is going to be okay?
Message 5 of 10 (9,034 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've had the sims 4 plus get to work and the magic expansion packs. The computer works fine, the game is a bit slow though. It was faster before I added the expansion packs. But its still fine to play, just lags a bit sometimes. 

Message 6 of 10 (9,028 Views)

@LouiseEileen  Vivobooks come in a variety of configurations.  If you want an opinion on how yours might be expected to run the game, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Performance will also depend on how many packs you install, and which ones.

Message 7 of 10 (8,994 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you this has been very helpful!! Have a great day

Message 8 of 10 (5,035 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Would it works with more ram and storage

Message 9 of 10 (3,312 Views)

@fleallama34  If you have a specific computer in mind, please post a link to it, or else list its full specs.

Message 10 of 10 (3,285 Views)