why s my roof showing in the house??

by christylee1989

Original Post

why s my roof showing in the house??

★★★★ Novice

i hope i am putting this in the right place, but i have never built a house before, watched some videos and decided to try it myself. everything was fine until i went to my second story and saw that the roof is showing in the house! i looked online and saw that it has to be a full room, it is. no breaks in the walls, not evena  door yet, and its showing through. am i missing something here?i circled one of the palces its showing through. it is a full wall, just in cutaway view right now

sims roof.jpg

Message 1 of 6 (6,030 Views)

Re: why s my roof showing in the house??

Champion

@christylee1989 Welcome to building! Can I make a couple of suggestions/clarifications?

• It looks in your screenshot like you are not at the topmost level/floor in the build. Can you please try clicking the up arrow (at the upper right area of your window/screen) and see what is on the floor above? You will either see that the rooms you are seeing here as open at the top will then show a ceiling and you will be at the next floor and you can add a roof to those rooms there or...
  • If there is no ceiling to the rooms please try to go back to the floor they were built on and retrace them as all one room again and see if the roof it built then when you go to the room above. I suspect your rooms do have a ceiling currently or they would be much more light in this screenshot as all the sun would be coming through.
  • If the ceiling still does not get created, or if it somehow got deleted, you can click on a wall of a room then go to the level above and you should see a yellow rim around the top of that room. you can click the yellow rim and it should show an option to 'build ceiling' and you choose that. I don't think you will need this, though, as it does not look like your ceiling is deleted.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 6 (6,004 Views)

★★★★ Novice

yes the ceiling is there, but thanks for that info cause sometimes the ceiling did get deleted before and i just had to delete the room and remake the room so it would go there, so that helps a lot. what i ended up havig to do last night is resize the roofs that were showing through, the ones that were showing through were from the floor below, so i made them slightly smaller and now they are gone. when i see videos on youtube they make it look so easy. move the roof until it hides into the main roof so it will look good, and it never showes through inside. goess i still got a lot of learning to do.

Message 3 of 6 (5,989 Views)

★★★★ Novice
also if i go up a level it will show the roof on the very top. i did all the walls first, then second thing after i made the boxes for the house was the all the roofs
Message 4 of 6 (5,988 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@christylee1989 Glad to hear that the ceiling is there and that the information helps for future purposes! I would consider myself a 'builder' now as most of the game play that I have focused on for a while now has been creating builds to upload to the gallery. I really love it, but I must tell you that roofs, along with some of the fidgety aspects of the terrain height tools, are some of the more challenging aspects of building that can take a while to get used to plus can be some fussy stuff to work with on a more complex build. So... don't feel bad. They drive many people nuts here and there. Standard smile 

This guide has some nice information about roof-building basics that may be helpful: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/roofs.php

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 6 (5,976 Views)

★★★★ Novice

ok thanks again! and i will save that. i loved building this house and really want to get better at it, so this will be helpful

Message 6 of 6 (5,968 Views)