why are my files done differently?

by mrcamo2002

Original Post

Re: why are my files done differently?

Champion (Retired)

If that were the case the game would not work. Here is an easy way to find out which folder your game is using: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 11 of 19 (429 Views)

★★ Novice
I still cant seem to get the User Files
That page that you set has the way the files should look like but for some reason tfor me the files and file folders are displayed in a different ways e.g. there is a Games folder with a bin folder which has all of the resources but no files about saves or anything to do with the in game files...
Message 12 of 19 (414 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please post a screenshot of what you see when following the instructions in the link. What does the path look like in screen capture?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 13 of 19 (409 Views)

★★ Novice
The files still look the same as the original screenshots that i took..
Message 14 of 19 (386 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mrcamo2002  The folder you are looking for will be in the user documents, electronic arts, the sims 4 folder there will be a mods folder. This user folder will not be created until you successfully start the game the first time. If you have OneDrive enabled this folder will be moved to the OneDrive folder (why? I don't know - it's a Windows thing). Windows knows where it got moved to so if it was created when OneDrive was enabled the game should be able to find the files but if you disable OneDrive you may orphan the files as they probably will not get returned to the user documents folder. I think Windows uses a symbolic link when it first creates the OneDrive folder to be linked to other computers. So if you manually move files around you will confuse Windows and probably the game. This is one of the down sides of using symbolic links. The game is hard coded to create the user data in the user documents folder. You can configure OneDrive to ignore the game folders but I don't know what will happen should OneDrive has already moved the game file and then you set OneDrive to ignore the folders. Again the files may get orphaned. I do not like OneDrive because of poor documentation and it is unpredictable. I do not use OneDrive for this reason. I do not use symbolic links unless there is no other solution and if I do use a symbolic link I leave more then enough documentation so if someone else mucks it up it's there own fault. You can configure Origin to install the game to an alternate location but if you change that data when installing some expansion packs this could confuse the game. You really need to explain what you did. This is like an erector set - it would be nice to follow the instructions but you can get creative and that's when the trouble starts. Origin should install to the designated system drive and the user data is hard coded to the user documents folder on the system drive. Did you install the game to an alternate location? Do you have OneDrive enabled?

Message 15 of 19 (377 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@mrcamo2002 wrote:
The files still look the same as the original screenshots that i took..

The original screenshot only show the game files. Please follow the linked instructions on how to find the user files. 

Message 16 of 19 (369 Views)

★★ Novice
I downloaded the game to a separate Hard disk as i had no space in the C: but it was working perfectly around 6 months before, after i deleted my sims for space i re downloaded it onto my 2nd hard drive but the files showed up as they do in the screenshots that i sent... I have yet to believe it is origin not knowing what to do with the game files in the separate hard drive but i do not know...
Message 17 of 19 (333 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please follow these instructions: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder

Message 18 of 19 (322 Views)

★★ Novice
I fixed it now, I think what was happening is the User Files documents was bypassing to my E: drive which made it look broken, Thank you all for helping me. mrcamo2002
Message 19 of 19 (298 Views)