what is the best laptop to play sims4>

by Elizabeth_3014

Original Post

Accepted Solution

what is the best laptop to play sims4>

★★★★ Novice

I'm looking for a laptop to play sims4 can someone point me in the right direction.. I have never owned one so maybe someone can recommend one 

Message 1 of 16 (1,972 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: what is the best laptop to play sims4>

@Elizabeth_3014  If I'm reading this correctly, the extended warranty is for two years and $200.  The laptop itself is covered for a year by MSI, which is more than enough time to find out about any defective parts.  MSI laptops are very well made, and I wouldn't expect normal wear and tear to do any damage in the first few years.  So unless you think you might drop the computer or otherwise break it, the extended warranty is probably not worth the money.  I didn't buy one myself for my current laptop, but then again I didn't need it for either of my previous two computers, so I felt like I'd be wasting the money.

Anyway, it's your call.  A lot of people buy the plans for the peace of mind, but I personally think that the chance of your needing a repair worth more than $200 during the second year is pretty low.

And I'm glad you like the laptop.  It looks like a great computer, and MSI is known for making excellent gaming laptops.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 16 of 16 (2,296 Views)

All Replies

@Elizabeth_3014  Hi, you posted in the mac section, which is totally fine, but can you clarify whether you're specifically looking for a mac?  If so, then we'd be happy to give you advice on how the verious models of mac laptops could be expected to run TS4 and its packs.

If you're not interested in a mac, I can move this thread to the TS4 tech section.  It would be good to know what kind of help you're looking for though.  Do you want a summary of what hardware to look for in a new laptop?  Do you want a general idea of what options are out there, and/or what kind of game performance you could get for a certain amount of money?  Or would you rather that someone pick out a few models for you?  If it's the last, please post your budget and country, as well as anything else you'd want to run on the computer.

Message 2 of 16 (1,954 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm sorry I thought this was for pc's and mac's .. No I don't want a mac, never used one. I'm looking for a pc laptop that is capable of running sims4 with a lot of mods and cc also I have all the ep's game packs and stuff packs.. I have everything that has been released so far.. Thanks for the reply.. If you can recommend something it would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 16 (1,939 Views)

@Elizabeth_3014  I can recommend specific models if you want, but that will depend on your budget and country.  Please also let me know whether you're looking to buy now; sales can change quickly, and the best deal today probably won't be available next week.  (Of course, there will almost certainly be another good deal next week for a computer that's not on sale at all right now.)

If you'd prefer to have a more general conversation of what's out there, or what to look for when you are ready to buy, that's easy enough as well.

And once you reply to this, I'm going to move the thread to TS4 tech issues here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

If you have trouble finding it, you can always see your post history by clicking on your username.

Message 4 of 16 (1,935 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I live in the USA and I don't want to spend more than 1800 . I have a lot of cc and mods also everything that has been released as of today.. all ep's, game packs and stuff packs everything..If you can recommend something that will handle what i have now and anything they put out in the future I would appreciate it.. Thank YOu..

Message 5 of 16 (1,928 Views)

@Elizabeth_3014  I've moved this to TS4 tech, as promised.

This might be a bit more information than you bargained for, but then again, with a budget of $1800, you have a lot of options.  Instead of going with the cheapest option, or the best sale, for a computer that will run TS4 on high settings, you can pretty much have whatever you want.

TS4 doesn't need and will never need a graphics card stronger than an Nvidia 1060 6 GB, even if you're using a lot of custom content and running the game on the highest graphics settings.  (In fact, a 1050 ti is more than capable right now, but the 1060 is the best option for future proofing.)  The Intel i7-8750H processor typically in laptops of this caliber is also more than sufficient for the game.  As far as memory goes, you don't need more than 8 GB RAM for the game itself, but 16 GB is great for multitasking.  TS4 doesn't benefit from being installed on a solid state drive, although you might want one so that other processes run faster.  Even the slowest SSDs are much faster than mechanical drives for any program that can use the extra speed.

So if you just wanted a really good computer that would handle TS4 the way you want, you wouldn't have to spend nearly $1800.  This laptop isn't the very cheapest option, but it has the right processor and graphics card, 16 GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD (a fast model even among solid state drives) as well as a 1 TB mechanical drive (HDD).  It's on sale for $1050.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834235064

Since you have some room to work with, you could add other features if you wanted, provided the configuration is available.  For example, the above model has a 15" screen; you could get the same hardware with a 17" screen instead, although it's not currently on sale:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235077&ignorebbr=1

There are other variations on the same laptop as well; it just depends on what matters to you.  For example, you might want the highest quality screen, although the above are great, or perhaps a slimmer laptop or one with a particular design.  Maybe you'd like a single large solid state drive rather than a small SSD and a large HDD.  Whatever you're looking for, I can list a few options for you to browse.

If you have other games you'd like to play, now or in the future, you could upgrade to an Nvidia 2060 or 1070.  Again, there are a number of options depending on what other features you're looking for.  The 2060 models are $1400 and up; the 1070s start at $1600.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL63-8SE-054-Performance-i7-8750H/dp/B07MNWT1KQ

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235087&ignorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154801&ignorebbr=1

Finally, you could get a customized laptop from CyberpowerPC.  Depending on the features you're looking for, that might be the way to go.  For example, if all you want is an Nvidia 1060 with a large SSD or two hard drives of your choosing, you could swap out the processor on this model, and the price would start in the $1200 range.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Tracer-III-15-Slim-VR-600X

Anyway, I know this is a lot, but you have a lot of options.  So if you know what matters to you, I'd be happy to help you narrow things down.

Message 6 of 16 (1,923 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you for your time and suggestions is appreciated. What do you think of this laptop?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-laptops-and-notebooks/alienware-17/spd/alienware-17-lapt... Its more than I would like to pay even with the 17% discount.

Message 7 of 16 (1,901 Views)

@Elizabeth_3014  Alienware laptops are great, but somewhat overpriced, as you can see.  If you're looking at the base configuration, at $1900, you could get the same quality computer with slightly better parts for $1600 instead.  These models that I linked before both have the same i7-8750 processor and Nvidia 1070, but they both have double the RAM.  With only the 8 GB in the Alienware, it would be hard for you to multitask while playing TS4.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235087&ignorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154801&ignorebbr=1

The first one has a smaller hard drive, at 512 GB instead of the 1 TB in the Alienware, but the ASUS's hard drive is a much faster SSD.  The MSI in the second link has a 256 GB SSD and a 2 TB mechanical drive, if you're looking for more storage.

There are plenty more options out there, depending on what you're looking for.  Since your budget gives you so many options, I just grabbed a few links as a sample.  If you let me know what you want, I can narrow it down.

And please let me know whether you want a 1070 as your graphics card.  TS4 really doesn't need and won't benefit from anything more powerful than a 1060, but if you'd like the 1070 anyway, that's doable at a lower price than the one you found.

Message 8 of 16 (1,899 Views)

★★★★ Novice

If you can find this pc at a lower price with these specs I would buy it.. this is what I think I want.. have been looking at too many... anyway thank you for all your help.. also if you see something that doesn't look right about this laptop please tell me..

https://www.dell.com/en-us/cart?cs=19&~ck=mn

Message 9 of 16 (1,891 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Elizabeth_3014  The link doesn't work, since I'm not signed into your account.  It would be easier if you just listed the specs, and the price, as well as any other features you'd like that this particular model doesn't have.

If you're not sure what you want, I'd be happy to talk about the benefits of the different hardware options, or I can point you to some websites with more information.  I know this is a lot to take in, but if we can figure out what you're looking for, I can find it.  And, in all likelihood, for significantly less money than Dell would charge you.

Message 10 of 16 (1,886 Views)