Re: what is the best cheap laptop to run the sims 4 with lots of mods and cc

by darkaudit

Original Post

what is the best cheap laptop to run the sims 4 with lots of mods and cc

★★★ Newbie

I was thinking about getting the sims 4, but the problem is that I don't have a laptop or computer to play it on. I don't want it to be too expensive, because I don't have a full-time job, but I want to be able to run all the packs and have a lot of mods and cc. Is this even possible? Please help me! If you guys could link any ideas down below, that would be great. I was thinking about maybe getting this one?... https://www.amazon.com/pulgadas-Windows-15-ef0022nr-173N3UA-ABA/dp/B0876H4VHJ/

Message 1 of 7 (9,460 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@calicat070509 The Sims 4 is a 3D graphical game. There is no "I just play the Sims". Integrated graphics has come a long way in recent years but dedicated graphics performance is still better. To me a big part of a laptop purchase is the after sale support. I buy Dell laptops as I think their support is is good and their performance is good and they stand the test of time. I bought my son a Dell laptop when he went to college. He now has a masters degree and I'm still using it. The problem with laptops is design is all about saving power and computer gaming is all about power. .You have to realize when you buy a laptop your buying a whole computer system that has limited upgrade options. Don't skimp out on storage. Graphical games tend to use more storage then say a student laptop. Right now there is a chip shortage and that is causing a price increase. To answer your question to get a laptop to do what you want you should consider a gaming laptop.

Message 2 of 7 (9,425 Views)

@calicat070509  You certainly don't need a gaming laptop to run Sims 4 well, even with all packs installed.  You can also do significantly better than the laptop you've linked for the same price or even cheaper.  Do you want a gaming laptop though?  I did see one earlier today for $645:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/914922612

This is the kind of system that would run all Sims 4 packs on ultra graphics settings.  But if you'd rather spend a little less, you can get something that would handle high settings for somewhere in the $500 range, and it would also be a couple years newer than the one you've linked.  Let me know what your preferred budget is and list any other details that matter to you, and I'll look around for some suitable options.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 7 (9,407 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@puzzlezaddict  The GTX 1650 will give 60 fps at 1080p but will have trouble with for playing newly launched games you will get low frame rates and 256Gb of storage. I would recommend that laptop for a student doing a term paper. The proc is Comet Lake while it will do but it is not the latest and greatest. BTW their warranty support is 3rd party. I recommend reading up on it.

Message 4 of 7 (9,395 Views)

@roberta591  The OP didn't ask about a laptop that would run "newly launched games," they asked about a laptop for Sims 4.  They also linked a $567 laptop as a potential buy.  New laptops with a 3050 start around $800, and prices only increase from there.  So the question should not be regarding the hypothetical ideal purchase for gaming in general but what options this particular person has within their preferred budget.  That's why I asked specifically about their budget as well as for any other relevant details.

I'm aware of how MSI handles support and warranties for its laptops.  I also didn't actually recommend the MSI laptop; I said this is the cheapest example I've seen recently of a gaming laptop.  This is not a recommendation but rather a way to help this person calibrate the market: gaming laptops start at this price point, this is what they look like, etc.  Whether a gaming laptop is worth the price premium is up to them, and I'm happy to try to find the best options available at any reasonable price rather than dismissing lower-tier options out of hand because someone won't or can't afford to pay more.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 7 (9,388 Views)

★ Guide

Walmart currently carries a ~$600 USD HP Pavilion laptop with either a Ryzen 4500U or 5600U CPU running Radeon graphics. For that price you also get 512 GB NVMe storage and 8GB RAM.

I bought the 4500U version last March and upgraded to 16GB RAM right away. Defaults to High graphics settings at 1080p in The Sims 4.

I'm pleased with what I bought and it should do you nicely at a decent price.

Message 6 of 7 (9,358 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, sims 4 is not very demanding in terms of hardware but you must consider decent specifications to run the game smoothly, choosing the right hardware also depends on your purpose do you want to just enjoy the game and play it casually or do you want to get those 60FPS at high settings which are the most gamers desires to achieve on any game.

I have played this game on an integrated graphics card and the game run decently at 40 FPS at mid-settings, however sims 4 has very nice visuals and animations that you can only enjoy with the dedicated graphics card, even a 2GB video card will do the job for you for this if you are spending on the laptop for sims 4 you have to spend around 550 to 600 dollars, the real fun starts when you extend your budget to above 600 dollars as in this range you get GTX 1650, 4GB graphics card which is pretty much solid for Sims 4 and other games as well, you can play this game at high settings with above 70-80 FPS which is more then enough for Sims 4.

Overall I would suggest a dedicated gaming laptop for sure for this you have to spend above 600 to 800 dollars and if you do not have this budget you can also set up a gaming PC for sims 4 as you can easily set up a PC for under 500 to 600 dollars. moreover, a PC is always a better and more powerful option than a laptop as under the system you get a powerful CPU and GPU that handles games much better another thing is you can always upgrade the hardware in the PC but the laptop has limitations you can only upgrade ram and storage that also depends on each product but in PC you can upgrade everything form screen to the processor, graphics card.

Message 7 of 7 (7,347 Views)