Re: video card error

by rakk7012

Original Post

Accepted Solution

video card error

★★★ Novice

Hi guys, my game can't start, always show the video card error.

I have followed the advice on the internet, but it still can't start.

How can I do?

Message 1 of 31 (1,824 Views)

Accepted Solution

@rakk7012  Given the new errors, run a repair install of Windows:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

If you use the option that lets you mount the ISO internally, you won't need a USB stick or anything else.  This process should preserve all your user data, but if you get to step 13 and do NOT see the option to "keep personal files and apps," back out of the process and start again.

Once you've run the repair install, please update your graphics drivers to the newest available versions, the same ones I linked in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/video-card-error/m-p/11386654#M231388

You don't need to clean uninstall your current drivers beforehand.  Install the Intel driver first, then restart, then install the Nvidia driver and restart again.  Run each installer as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 29 of 31 (1,689 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@rakk7012  Please make sure the game is using your Nvidia graphics card rather than the integrated chip.  Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display > Graphics settings, click Browse, choose Sims 4 (TS4_x64.exe) from the list, click Options, choose the high-performance option, and save.  Make sure your laptop is plugged in and charging when you launch the game as well: when a laptop is running on battery, it can, depending on internal settings, override this choice and use the integrated chip to save power.

If that doesn't help, please go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, open config.log, copy the section under Graphics info (only those ~15 lines; I don't need the rest), and paste it into a reply here.

Please also let me know exactly what the error says, word for word.

By the way, your dxdiag lists a couple of crashes from something called AgreeablebSoft.exe.  I have no idea what that is, and neither does google, but if you do, you may want to try closing or disabling it while you play.  If you don't know what it is either, you should be able to find it, and a brief description of what it is, in the Task Manager's Details tab.

Message 2 of 31 (1,794 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I am sure that I have changed the Nvidia graphics card sets and star the game, but it still error.

already tried to:

- repair the game in Origin

- run the game in windowed mode

- reinstall it

- reinstall the video drivers

- disable the "Origin in game" function"

I opened the config.log, but it only one line.

Unable to read graphics device parameters. (code: 1)

I indeed didn't know what is the AgreeablebSoft.exe maybe is one app that I installed.

But I use the CCleaner.exe to clean Registry the AgreeablebSoft.exe is gone.

Attached is the new dxdiag file. 

Message 3 of 31 (1,691 Views)

@rakk7012  I can see from your dxdiag you're trying to run the 32-bit version of Sims 4.  Is there a reason for that?  Your laptop's hardware can run the 64-bit version without issues.  So please try that: open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options, select 64-bit from the dropdown menu, and save.  Origin should then launch the game in 64-bit.

If you don't see the option to switch, do you use a third-party antivirus?  If so, please disable it (this is just temporary) and repair Sims 4 again.  Then try to play, with the antivirus still disabled.  As long as you don't do anything other than run Origin and Sims 4, your computer should be safe.  If this helps, try setting exceptions in your antivirus for Origin.exe and TS4_x64.exe.

If none of this makes a difference, please try playing in a new admin Windows account.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  It may also help to create a username with only letters from the Roman alphabet (e.g. "test account" or the like): while Origin and Sims 4 should be able to handle other letters and characters, that doesn't always happen.  When in the new account, repair the game again before trying to play.

Message 4 of 31 (1,646 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Because I tried many methods but it still happened, So I try it and see what meesage will be mentioned.

But no response.

I run 64-bit version, it always show the video card error, I didnd't use the antivirus software, only use the windoes defender, but is off now.

I had changed the firewall sets because last time due to the sets so I can't play the sims4.

I created a new user and start the game after the repair the game, but it still showed the video card error.

I also try the cloesd origin sets but it still run same message.

How can I do? I feel depressed..

Attached is the new user Dxdiag file.

Message 5 of 31 (1,571 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@rakk7012It seems the game is trying to run from the integrated graphics card. I think @puzzlezaddict will tell you how to "force launch" the game on the Nvidia GeForce 940M video card.

Message 6 of 31 (1,555 Views)

@rakk7012  Please switch back to 64-bit Sims 4 in Origin, as I described.  Regardless of what you've done in the past, your dxdiag shows that right now, Origin is trying to launch the 32-bit version.  That can happen for various reasons, but the important thing is that you change it back right now.

Please also run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

@Aledreon  Thanks, but that was the first paragraph of my first post.  If you're looking at the Intel graphics crashes in the dxdiag, it's not clear that those are related to Sims 4, although they certainly could be.  More to the point, a laptop like this will involve the integrated chip in the process even when the dedicated card is doing most of the work.

Message 7 of 31 (1,537 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Aledreon But my video card still error, thanks a lot for @puzzlezaddict 's help. 

@puzzlezaddict 

I has switched the 64-bit, but I didn't know why my dxdiag shows 32-bit,I followed the windows-x, it success 100% and type sfc/scannow,

it shows "Windows Resource Protection found damaged files and successfully repaired them. See CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log for details.

I have updated windows.

Attached is the new dxdiag. 

Message 8 of 31 (1,517 Views)

@rakk7012  Just in case it helps, try removing the -w command line argument that's showing in your screenshot.  It's not normally necessary to make the game work properly.  And just to be thorough, move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.

Otherwise, I think it's time for a clean uninstall and reinstall of both graphics drivers.  Here's how to do it:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

The process here is uninstall the Nvidia driver > uninstall the Intel driver > install the Intel driver > restart > install the Nvidia driver > restart, all while your computer is offline.  You can get the newest drivers here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/85212/intel-core-i55200u-processor-3m-cache-up-...

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/187305/en-us

Message 9 of 31 (1,509 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@rakk7012 I think this is because your game is in a folder for 32 bit systems, i.e. in the program files (x86) so dxdiag shows a 32 bit system.

Message 10 of 31 (1,502 Views)