unable to open game

by invader_warp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

unable to open game

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

hi.

i'm trying to play the sims 4 for the first time in a while (sibling has been playing on his computer so i might look active) and i have this problem where i'll go to open the game and it'll act like it's gong to open...then pop, it pulls up the origin client again. i looked at the task manager and it doesnt even try to open. i've been trying to troubleshoot on my own but so far i've made little progress.

things i've done:

1. uninstalled/reinstalled game, restarted computer
  2. updated graphics drivers
  3. uninstalled/reinstalled origin, restarted computer
  4. removed mods folder
  5. removed the EA folder from my documents (it didnt even generate a new one)
  6. tried to play in offline mode
  7. played on a different user—which worked, at first, but after closing the game and putting my EA folder back in i'm not able to get it to open again
  8. removed the entire EA folder again
  9. uninstalled/reinstalled game, restarted computer
  10. shut down computer and turned back on
  11. tried running as an administrator (despite being an administrator)
  12. deleted old EA folder just in case (its still in the recycle bin, though)
  13. [EDIT] made exceptions for all EA/sims related folders in my antivirus (did this first, actually)
  14. ”repaired” my game

i literally don't know what to do. i'm starting to get frustrated. i don't know what the problem is.

i'm using a lenovo ideapad 330 with windows 10 64bit with a radeon vega graphics card and a ryzen 3 processor. i've successfully played the game on this computer before. really not sure what to do at this point.

Message 1 of 5 (386 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: unable to open game

@invader_warp  Sophos has an extra setting or two that can block Sims 4.  Here's how to adjust its settings:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html

That may be enough to get Sims 4 working again, but if not, you may need to do some more extensive troubleshooting.  Start with a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here
  • Restart your computer

If you still can't play, try doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the graphics driver.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3480

Download the AMD VGA driver and UI driiver under Graphics, here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330-15arr/81d2/downloads...

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then AMD if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."

I don't know whether you'll also need to reinstall the UI driver, but there's no harm in trying.  If you get an error that says it's already installed, you're fine.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, please post a new dxdiag.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (325 Views)

All Replies

@invader_warp  What antivirus do you use?  If you're not sure whether you have one, please check the Task Manager's background processes list for any service that looks like it might belong to an antivirus.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (379 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

i forgot to add, i made exceptions in my antivirus for all folders related to origin or the game (that i could find, at least)

i attatched my dxdiag to this post.

EDIT: missed the question lol

i use sophos home

Message 3 of 5 (353 Views)

@invader_warp  Sophos has an extra setting or two that can block Sims 4.  Here's how to adjust its settings:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html

That may be enough to get Sims 4 working again, but if not, you may need to do some more extensive troubleshooting.  Start with a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here
  • Restart your computer

If you still can't play, try doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the graphics driver.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3480

Download the AMD VGA driver and UI driiver under Graphics, here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330-15arr/81d2/downloads...

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then AMD if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."

I don't know whether you'll also need to reinstall the UI driver, but there's no harm in trying.  If you get an error that says it's already installed, you're fine.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works normally.  If not, please post a new dxdiag.

Message 4 of 5 (326 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you! Making the .exe exception worked.

Message 5 of 5 (307 Views)