the sims

by IslaMcN22

Original Post

Accepted Solution

the sims

★★★★★ Newbie

Issue:
Sims keeps crashing after 5 min of play. I do not have any mods downloaded. I cleared my cache and repaired through origin. So far nothing has worked. Please send help, my 2 year old wants to see my sim's cats!

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 1 of 9 (506 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: the sims

@IslaMcN22  When you load that save, try loading a different household first, playing those sims for a few sim-hours, and switching back to your first household.  You can use "save as" and rename the save if it works, so the original remains intact as a backup while you can experiment on the new copy.

If you can't load any other household either, you could try manually recovering one of the game's automatic backups.  Here's how:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games/#wiederherstellen

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (431 Views)

All Replies

@IslaMcN22  Do you have a lastcrash.txt in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4?  If so, please either copy and paste its contents into a post here (use a spoiler tag), or create a .rar file and attach it.

Are the crashes happening in any particular circumstances in-game, such as when your sim tries to travel?

As a test, please move that entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can start a new save and play for a while with no crashes.  Let me know either way.

Message 2 of 9 (501 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

The crashes aren't happening during any particular instance. One time by sims was doing university homework, another time eating a cookie, and the most recent she was taking her finals.

Let me try your test and I will get back to you.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 9 (493 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Okay I did what you said and removed all of my Sims 4 files and started the game. I was able to play on the new save without issue for more than a half hour. 

Message 4 of 9 (478 Views)

@IslaMcN22  It sounds like the issue is something in your old Sims 4 folder.  Try copying one save, nothing else, from the old folder to the new one, and see whether you get another crash.  If you don't, you can copy over another save and test again, etc.  Try copying the contents of Tray too, all at once; make sure to delete anything that's already in Tray in the new Sims 4 folder.  Any time you get a crash, let me know.

Message 5 of 9 (461 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It crashed after adding 1 save.

Message 6 of 9 (457 Views)

@IslaMcN22  If you remove that save and just play another new one, does it still crash?  Please save your progress, quit, restart your computer, and reload to test.  You don't have to play long initially; the point is to get a new (as of today) save file in your Sims 4 folder and see whether there are any issues when it's read after you restart your computer.

Message 7 of 9 (454 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yeah it's a specific save that is causing it to crash. I didn't back up that save, is it salvageable?

Message 8 of 9 (446 Views)

@IslaMcN22  When you load that save, try loading a different household first, playing those sims for a few sim-hours, and switching back to your first household.  You can use "save as" and rename the save if it works, so the original remains intact as a backup while you can experiment on the new copy.

If you can't load any other household either, you could try manually recovering one of the game's automatic backups.  Here's how:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/save-games/#wiederherstellen

Message 9 of 9 (432 Views)