Re: the game jams

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

the game jams

★★ Novice

Hey! Im playing sims 3 on a new computer, dxdiag info will be attached. and i cant play the game. it jams all the time. i cant even do anything because every second the image stucks and holds like this for couple minutes and then the same. also i have only one mod whith is nraas stosy progration and i have no custom content. idk if i explained it good enough because im not English but i hope you understand what i mean and someone will help me with this. 

Message 1 of 7 (675 Views)

Accepted Solution

@martinesa20009  How much you can expect of your laptop depends on a number of factors, including but not limited to whether the cooling system is doing its job.  There are ways to check, and to help it if necessary.  It will also depend on which packs you have installed, what graphics settings you use, and other factors.  But one of the few things that's clear is that you currently have more than enough free storage, so that's not the issue here.

Please test in a clean game folder, as described, and let me know how it goes.  Please also list your patch level and the packs you have installed.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (635 Views)

All Replies

@martinesa20009  There are a lot of reasons that Sims 3 can lag or stutter.  So it's necessary to start narrowing down the cause of the problem.  Please pull your Sims 3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game, start a new save in Sunset Valley, and let me know how it runs.  Don't add anything new to this folder; the point is to see whether the game does better with no extra content at all.

Please also list the packs you currently have installed.  And let me know what your patch level is.  You can see it in the lower left corner of the launcher, before you press play.

Message 2 of 7 (665 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@martinesa20009   Your cpu is under powered for a gaming rig. As more background activity increases, the power to all cores decreases. This means your game runs slower. Your cpu has a base frequency of 1.6GHz which is below the minimum required speed. As the cpu starts ramping up to turbo speeds the heat generated by the cpu increases. As the heat increases the cooling system tries to keep the cpu at normal running temperatures. After the cpu gets to a certain temperature the cpu will slow down to keep the cpu from over temperature. IMO HP does not know how to design a proper cooling system for a laptop. The other problem is the 242Gb system device. IMO this is not large enough for a gaming system especially if for 3D gaming using internal graphics chip. You really need to get a data drive (device) or replace the system drive with a larger device. Ssds prices are getting to the point of reasonable prices where a minimum 500Gb ssd should be affordable now but I have seen conventional hard drives (7200 rpm type) can be had cheap. Your laptop as is may (probably) be nice for business/student but your really need more storage if your are going to game.

Message 3 of 7 (653 Views)

★★ Novice
@roberta591 so ther is nothing to be done?
Message 4 of 7 (643 Views)

@martinesa20009  How much you can expect of your laptop depends on a number of factors, including but not limited to whether the cooling system is doing its job.  There are ways to check, and to help it if necessary.  It will also depend on which packs you have installed, what graphics settings you use, and other factors.  But one of the few things that's clear is that you currently have more than enough free storage, so that's not the issue here.

Please test in a clean game folder, as described, and let me know how it goes.  Please also list your patch level and the packs you have installed.

Message 5 of 7 (636 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict okay so i did what you asked and everything works just fine.
here are the pachs i have:
high end loft stuff
ambitions
late night
outdoor living stuff
town life stuff
generations
master suite stuff
pets
diesel stuff
supernatural
seasons
university life
island paradise
movie stuff
into the future

i had also world adventures, showtime, fast lane stuff and Katy Perry but i turned them off so that game would go better.
and my patch level is 1.67.2.024002
Message 6 of 7 (576 Views)

@martinesa20009  It's great to hear the game's running better now.  There are a few reasons that the clean game folder would make a difference, and it's sometimes difficult to know exactly what helped the most.  But here are a few things to keep in mind:

A save will run slower as you play for longer.  The sims build up more data as time progresses, as does the save itself, and it takes more resources to keep track of all that.  It doesn't mean that you can't play a save for a long time, but you'll have to take steps to keep it healthy.  Here are a few:

• Turn off memories in game options.  These are a huge drag on performance.
  • Keep your sims' personal inventories relatively empty.  A few items are fine, but a hundred is too high.
  • Don't place too many items on your home lot—the game takes more resources to render all those objects.
  • Delete the five cache files (CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache, socialCache) regularly.  Some of us do it every time we quit the game.
  • Delete everything in FeaturedItems as well.  This is the Sims 3 store trying to sell you stuff.
  • Since you already have StoryProgression, you might want to use other NRaas mods, mainly ErrorTrap and Overwatch, to help clean up your game.  If you're interested, you can ask on the NRaas site.

The most demanding packs are Pets first, then Seasons, then Isla Paradiso and Into the Future.  Stuff packs don't add much to overhead, and the early expansion packs (WA, Ambitions, Late Night) are relatively gentle, so disabling those won't help very much.  Your laptop's hardware isn't really strong enough for Pets and Seasons, and maybe even for IP and ITF.  You can try lowering the impact of these packs, but the only real solution might be to uninstall them entirely and just play with the less demanding packs instead.

For Pets, stray animals and wild horses are the biggest problem, and long-haired pets can be too.  You can disable strays with mods if you want (for example, NRaas Register), and you can make sure your own pets always have short fur coats.  For Seasons, rain and snow are more demanding than good weather, so you might need to turn them off (in game options).  But the packs are always going to be more demanding than the others, and you might find that your computer can't run them properly at all.

Some worlds are too large to run well even on strong computers.  Others, like Isla Paradiso, are so broken that they're impossible to play for any length of time.  Avoid large custom worlds, and if you want to play in IP, download a fixed version, or edit it yourself.  This thread has more details:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

Most NRaas mods are neutral or help the game run better.  However, StoryProgression demands a lot of resources to run, and it can slow down your game significantly.  So you might need to play without it, or at least turn its speed down to Slow or Snail.

If you make these changes and then copy your current save into your new game folder, you'll be able to see whether the game still runs well enough for you.  Turning down graphics options, especially water and high-detail lots, will help too, and you can try playing at a lower resolution.  Sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to make the game playable on a laptop like yours, and sometimes you need to uninstall a few packs.  But you should be able to keep playing.

Message 7 of 7 (534 Views)