sims 4 won't launch

by candypalooza

Original Post

Accepted Solution

sims 4 won't launch

★★ Novice

I haven't opened my game in months. The other day I updated origin and TS4, but when I'd go to launch the game it would immediately throw up this message and error code (attached below I hope).

I went offline and did manage to get the game to launch, but after trying to leave CAS it froze up and I had to force quit. Now I can't get it to launch at all, online or offline. So far I've repaired my game, deleted the the localthumbcache package and I've completely cleared my origin cashes using a guide from here. I want to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling anything because my internet is so slow it'll take days to redownload everything. Possibly related to this, I've a problem with Dragon Age Origins not saving, but again I've only just picked up playing it again after a few months so I don't know if it's a recent issue because of an update or not. Is there anything else I can do before having to uninstall or factory reset?

Message 1 of 4 (438 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: sims 4 won't launch

@candypalooza  First of all, please update the driver for your graphics chip: your current one is from 2017.  You can get the newest driver for your particular chip here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/95443/intel-core-i57200u-processor-3m-cache-up-...

You want the standard driver, dated May 25, rather than the slightly newer beta driver.  Restart your computer after installing the driver and before doing anything else.

For the Sims 4 error itself, please try the steps in this guide, at least the ones that you haven't already:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/unable-to-start-initialization-error-at-startup/

The fact that your progress in Dragon Age Origins isn't saving could definitely be related, especially if the underlying cause is a permissions issue with the Documents directory.  So if the above steps don't help, please let me know whether you use OneDrive, and if you have a third-party antivirus running, please list it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (401 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

here's a dxdiag too in case it's relevant, I've seen it requested in threads with similar problem

Message 2 of 4 (422 Views)

@candypalooza  First of all, please update the driver for your graphics chip: your current one is from 2017.  You can get the newest driver for your particular chip here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/95443/intel-core-i57200u-processor-3m-cache-up-...

You want the standard driver, dated May 25, rather than the slightly newer beta driver.  Restart your computer after installing the driver and before doing anything else.

For the Sims 4 error itself, please try the steps in this guide, at least the ones that you haven't already:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/unable-to-start-initialization-error-at-startup/

The fact that your progress in Dragon Age Origins isn't saving could definitely be related, especially if the underlying cause is a permissions issue with the Documents directory.  So if the above steps don't help, please let me know whether you use OneDrive, and if you have a third-party antivirus running, please list it.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 4 (402 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict thank you so much! it was windows defender, after adding DA:O and TS4 to the firewall exemptions they're both working perfectly. And I updated the driver too. Should have figured it was a windows problem, seems like something always goes haywire whenever I update. I'll keep this bookmarked in case I run into trouble again. Thanks again Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (358 Views)