sims 4 won't launch

by adancingirl

Original Post

sims 4 won't launch

★ Novice

I've redownloaded the game and removed all CC AND redownloaded origin and it still only reopens origin if i try to launch the game. Before I uninstalled it would only open if there was custom content, but the text would be missing.

Message 1 of 38 (44,522 Views)

Re: sims 4 won't launch

@adancingirl  Please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.

If you still can't open the game, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus, if any, you use.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 38 (44,483 Views)

★ Novice

here's the dxadiag

Message 3 of 38 (44,444 Views)

★ Novice
@adancingirl through other things i also discovered that the game only opens when there's build/buy mode cc added
Message 4 of 38 (44,443 Views)

@adancingirl  Wait, you're saying that the game does NOT open if you have no mods or custom content at all, but it DOES open if you add Build/Buy cc?  That would be very odd, so please clarify.

Additionally, Origin is crashing, so please clear its cache, uninstall it "the hard way," and reinstall.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/

When reinstalling, use the full Origin installer (direct download link):

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Run the installer as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Restart your computer after it installs and before trying to play.

Message 5 of 38 (44,424 Views)

★ Novice

yeah if i add anything that goes into build or buy mode, the game opens but all the text is either missing or random jumbled letters

Message 6 of 38 (44,408 Views)

@adancingirl  Please do all of this, together, before playing again:

• Clear Origin's cache
  • Repair the game: open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair
  • Move the Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop (again)
  • Restart your computer

Let me know whether the game launches.  If it doesn't, create a new admin Windows account and try to play in that.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services you normally use.  You'll be able to sign into Origin and won't need to redownload anything, but your saves and other content won't be available.  That can be addressed later; for now, just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save.

Message 7 of 38 (44,359 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same issue and after moving out the Sims 4 folder out entirely, I was able to launch the game and play. How should I go about adding mods and saves back in? Thank you!

Message 8 of 38 (44,263 Views)

@badw0lf11  You can simply drag and drop or copy and paste the files: they go in their respective subfolders (saves, Tray, Mods) inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.  Test your mods first, and if the game stops loading, you'll need to split and retest them until you figure out which ones are causing the problem.  Leave your saves for last.

It's also a good idea to back up your saves, now and in general, in case you need them later.  Many of us make backup copies regularly and delete the oldest ones when we know we won't need them.

Message 9 of 38 (44,230 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did this and all my mods are gone thousands of content just gone 

Message 10 of 38 (43,496 Views)