Re: sims 4 not starting after december patch 2018

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

sims 4 not starting after december patch 2018

★★ Novice

After the new 2018 December 20th patch, I click on my game and it won't start. It doesn't say anything at all and I was super excited but it won't start.. Frown

Message 1 of 11 (1,571 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this same problem ever since the December patch. Any ideas on how to fix this??

Message 2 of 11 (1,552 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Do you have any Mods or CC? If so move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. Then test the game. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 11 (1,543 Views)

★ Novice

It still doesn't start even though I moved my mods folder to my Desktop and deltedlocalthumbcache, I tested it. an Error. Any other people that is gonna help me so I can just play the Sims 4, I am starting to get angry about not playing it, I got a gift from someone. But when I installed it, that's when most of the problems occur. But that is gonna take too long to explain.

Message 4 of 11 (1,531 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@mapmaker72

You need to install Origin. Download the latest version here: https://www.origin.com/dnk/en-us/store/download
After installation login to the account you have The Sims 4 on. Rightclick the game in your game library and select Repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 11 (1,501 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi there,

I have had this same problem,but not after this update...for about a whole year now. I do this for a work around. Origin have never fixed my problem for me. So it is left to me to find some magical way to fix this. 

For awhile I could uninstall Origin from "Programs" in "Control Panel". Then I would empty my Recycle Bin or run CC Cleaner to make sure all old traces of Origin are gone. Then I would download "Origin" again from the website and install it. After log-in that would always allow me to play my game again. After every update it does get tiring. Good thing it is free or I would have hit the roof by now. lol

ALSO just by uninstalling Origin, it doesn't uninstall your games or your progress,just the Origin Application. But to be safe you should always back-up your Sims saves at least into it's own new folder. You should do this regularly anyway.

I have been doubly unlucky and after two previous patches ago for the Sims 4, my Origin log-in no longer appears at all. So to work around this I had to delete OriginThinSetup.exe from my Origin folder. Right-click Origin Icon and change the compatibility settings. Now Origin works, but only in compatibility mode. So if nothing works after installing and re-installing,you can always try this too.

Good Luck! And Merry Christmas. Not being able to play your game is the worst!

Message 6 of 11 (1,298 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I’m having the same problem, my game just shows a plain white screen instead of loading. I have no mods or cc installed. Also my game is in a window instead of taking up the whole screen.
Message 7 of 11 (1,157 Views)

★ Novice
Are you still having this issue? I am having the same problem.
Message 8 of 11 (1,069 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have repaired it multiple times but it still wont work

Message 9 of 11 (1,026 Views)

★ Novice

Update: I removed my mods, and moved the Sims 4 file out of the documents and onto my desktop. Then I let the Sims4 create a new file by attempting to start the game. Still no luck. But after that, I went on Origin and repaired the games and now it's working fine! Hope this helps. 

Message 10 of 11 (968 Views)