sims 4 lag after updating graphics driver

by PixelFacex3

Original Post

sims 4 lag after updating graphics driver

★★★★ Novice

I recently updated my graphics driver and since then my game has been really laggy even on low graphics settings. Before this it was a few years out of date but I could run the game fine on medium-high graphics.

I've tried repairing my game, removing all mods, playing a completely new game with no saves - I don't understand why it's lagging now.

Message 1 of 12 (951 Views)

Re: sims 4 lag after updating graphics driver

Hero (Retired)

@PixelFacex3   Please post your computer's dxdiag - how to run dxdiag    Then attach the txt file in the lower right of the forum's response window.

Message 2 of 12 (946 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Message 3 of 12 (914 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@PixelFacex3   First are you sure you updated using the correct driver? You operating system is Windows 7. Is it possible you downloaded Windows 10 drivers? Windows 7 SP 1 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Support ended January 14, 2020. The driver you have is not WHQL which means it has not been tested by Microsoft for compatibility. Do you know which AMD R7 200 you have? There is a free program that should tell you all the information about your video card called GPUZ.  If you are sure you downloaded Win 7 drivers you probably need to get an older version *or roll back the driver) preferably one that is WHQL and try that one. I have the same motherboard except I have an AMD FX6100 cpu. First guess I think you have something wrong with the new video driver.

Message 4 of 12 (889 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I've checked, the driver is definitely for windows 7 and it's the correct driver for gpu (240 from the r7 200 series). I can't roll the driver back and I'm unsure how to download an older driver.

It seems to only be the Sims 4 I'm having problems with. Every other game I usually would play works fine. I've tried the sims 4 on lowest graphics settings and I'm literally getting a few frames a second. It's horrific and I have no clue what's causing it at this point.
Message 5 of 12 (807 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@PixelFacex3   What port do you have the monitor plugged into - the motherboard or the video card?  There is a newer driver at AMD dated 4/2/2020. the one in your dxdiag is not WHQL.

Message 6 of 12 (791 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@roberta591 It's plugged into the GPU. I'll try updating to a newer driver and let you know if it helps at all.
Message 7 of 12 (745 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@roberta591 I installed the newer graphics driver you suggested and that#s not WHQL certified either.
Message 8 of 12 (733 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@PixelFacex3  It's ok to use a non WHQL driver as long as it works but if your having issues that would be a good idea to try a newer driver.

Message 9 of 12 (705 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@PixelFacex3   I tried to find specs on your monitor but there must be another model number somewhere. Your dxdiag shows your connected with a HD15  cable. Does your monitor have a DVI port? That might help some.

Message 10 of 12 (700 Views)