Re: sims 4 keeps crashing on windows 10 it the only game that crashes

by Lori57

Original Post

@Lori57  Is your other mouse made by Razer?  There are issues with Razer software and Sims 4, although it's usually enough to either update the Razer software or disable it before playing.

But using your new mouse instead is of course the easiest workaround of all.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 46 (1,199 Views)

★ Apprentice

Both are Logitech. But Sims 4 has started crashing differently now, The difference is it told me what the problem was. 

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys) Windows 10 BSOD Error

Message 22 of 46 (1,119 Views)

@Lori57  That means it's time to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia graphics driver.  Here's how:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 23 of 46 (3,618 Views)

★ Apprentice

Done. I will play for a couple of days and let you know if it worked.

Message 24 of 46 (1,099 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

The fix has worked, I haven't had a crash yet.

I obviously had to replace the mouse to get the error message to appear on the screen, before that it just froze without letting me know the cause. Thank you for your help, I am back to enjoying Sims again. Lori.

Message 25 of 46 (1,031 Views)

★ Apprentice

This fix has worked for me. After buying the new mouse, I did a clean install of my graphics driver and it is all fixed. Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

Link to fix below.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Message 26 of 46 (885 Views)

★ Apprentice

After the last update it has started crashing again. I can only play on the lowest possible settings, which is not nice. I have tried everything including a complete re-install of the game. I am using GeForce to update game drivers and optimize the game, it thinks it should run at maximum settings. It should not be this hard to simply play a game.

Message 27 of 46 (738 Views)

@Lori57  Please disable the GeForce Experience setting to optimize your game settings.  This option can mess with Sims 4 (even though it shouldn't), so it's best to not use it, especially while troubleshooting.

Please also run a new dxdiag and attach it to a post, so I can see if anything relevant has changed.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 28 of 46 (727 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Ok I did that.

I have been trying different things, but I turned the GeForce experience optimization off early this morning. I have tried without Mods, I tried everything but manually removing my graphics driver and re-installing it. I do have the latest update. I am getting too old for this.

Message 29 of 46 (716 Views)

@Lori57  Your dxdiag lists several crashes of MSI software, either its Gaming App or something called MSI_LED, followed by BlueScreens.  Are you getting BlueScreens when Sims 4 crashes, or is your computer shutting down or restarting on you?  Regardless, it's a good idea to get rid of the software.  You can kill it in the Task Manager (check the background processes list), but it may restart itself, in which case you'll need to uninstall it entirely.

The next step I'd suggest is in fact a clean uninstall and reinstall of the graphics driver, so please do that if the above doesn't work.  But install a slightly older driver, one from April or May, instead of the newest one from Nvidia.  You can get older drivers here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

When installing the driver, don't install GeForce Experience, at least for now.  And if asked, don't let the driver update either.  The versions from this spring are new enough that they'll work fine with Sims 4.

Message 30 of 46 (701 Views)