Re: sims 4 high pitched noise

by crinrict

Original Post

sims 4 high pitched noise

★★★ Novice

I'm not sure exactly how to explain this, but recently my sims game has started to put out a high pitched noise. It's not through the speakers because it's still there when I unplug them and it's only started recently. I looked for answers online but couldn't find any so now I'm turning to ask to see if anyone knows how to resolve this. It starts randomly and doesn't go away until I close my sims game. If I move my mouse it will periodically stop until my mouse stops moving. 

Message 1 of 7 (1,067 Views)

@AxolotlAvery  Is the game itself making the noise, or is your computer making it?  If it's the game, please start a new save, for comparison's sake, and see whether the noise is still present.  If it's your computer, let me know whether it runs Windows or macOS and whether it's a laptop or desktop.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (1,013 Views)

Hero
@AxolotlAvery Moving this to the tech forum but can you confirm on what platform you're playing ?

There's this known bug that might have something to do with your issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CoL-Loud-scratch-sound-when-listing-to-Cottage-Core-on-Earbuds... ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 7 (970 Views)

★★★ Novice

I made a new save to test and it appears that my computer is making the noise because it's still present. Where it gets weird is that my friend made the observation that the noise seems to start/get more persistent in tab mode. And, as I said in the original post, when I move my mouse it sometimes stops but now that is starting to not work. My computer runs on Windows 10. Sorry for the late reply.

Message 4 of 7 (901 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@AxolotlAvery 

Then the noise can only come from your computers moving parts. Most likely a fan. Start by cleaning all fans if there are more than one and see if that doesn't take care of the noise. You notice it more while gaming because the fan need to speed up to keep your PC cool enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 7 (882 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, I don't believe its the fans making this noise because we just cleaned the fans and it doesn't sound like they usually do when i start up my computer. They are about 2.5 years old though so maybe it's still a possibility. I'm not really very smart with parts of a computer and I don't know how to tell for sure which part of the computer it's coming from. The only way I can describe it is a loud, consistent screech, or like a very loud version of a ringing in your ear. It doesn't stop when I change the volume or unplug the speakers. It might be worth noting that this started right after re-arranging my room and switching from the ethernet to wifi. My very techy dad who can basically walk into a room and fix all tech problems but just being there has no idea what it could be and honestly I'm scared about losing all my game progress. Is there a way I could link/upload a video of it?

Message 6 of 7 (856 Views)

@AxolotlAvery  An audio clip of the sound probably wouldn't help here.  Instead, open the case of your computer, and load the game with the sound muted.  (You can use the Windows sound option in the lower-right corner of the screen.)  When you hear the sound again, put your ear right next to your computer case and see if you can tell where the sound is coming from.  Pay particular attention to the graphics card, if you have a standalone GPU: it has its own fan or fans that might need maintenance, and it also has other internal components that sometimes emit a high-pitched whine when under stress.

I doubt that switching from ethernet to wifi had anything to do with this, but you could have accidentally bumped the computer in just the wrong way when you moved it.  Still, if you want to make sure, try disabling wifi.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode before launching Sims 4.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 7 (852 Views)