Re: sims 4 crashing computer - every other game works fine

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

sims 4 crashing computer - every other game works fine

★★★ Newbie

Hello you helpful people you,

In the past, I had issues with persistent crashing in all games. my video card/mobo stumped all of the Geek Squad team, and the video card was sent in and replaced with a refurbished NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER. (previous video card had errors they found and understood, but weird thing was that my mobo that theoretically has integrated graphics was unable to output graphics during the wait for the refurb, which was what confounded everyone. i wound up using an old vid card to scrape by til refurb arrived)

- ALL games are working without issue on the PC since then, EXCEPT Sims 4. this includes CSGO, minecraft, XBOX games, SteamVR, Blizzard games, LoL, etc.

- During Sims 4 gameplay, it is randomly crashing with no pattern, sometimes with extremely short duration before crash (1-2mins of gameplay), sometimes with up to ~30mins or so without a crash.

- DxDiag.txt is attached

- Reliability Monitor critical events only say Windows: Windows was not properly shut down

- no mods, no custom content in use or previously installed

- There is no error reported when game crashes, and entire computer powers off and reboots every time.

Thanks in advance! Hope i didnt miss any details.

Message 1 of 2 (233 Views)

Re: sims 4 crashing computer - every other game works fine

@merptymerp  A straight restart usually indicates an issue with the power supply, although there can be other causes.  This wouldn't leave any trace in Windows, other than the improper shutdown, because it's a hardware issue that Windows doesn't "see," so to speak.  As to why only Sims 4 is affected, it does occasionally happen, for reasons that are unclear.

If you're comfortable doing so, please start by disconnecting the power cables, blowing out the plugs and sockets (on both ends), and reconnecting everything, making sure every cable is secure.  Make sure the PSU fan is unblocked and has direct access to cold air, that it's not for example pushed up against one of the case panels.  If that doesn't help and you can borrow a PSU from a friend to test, that would be the next step.

I'm also curious what power supply you have.  Please list its specs, which you can find printed on the side of the unit, for example Corsair 750W 80+ Gold.  Even a premium PSU can fail, of course, but one that's lower quality or not powerful enough for the system is more likely to be an issue.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (217 Views)