sims 4 crashes instantly upon startup

by Zenjpeg

Original Post

sims 4 crashes instantly upon startup

★ Novice

Every time I try to run The Sims 4 64 bit it crashes instantly.

I get a white screen and the game closes before I even make it to the first loading screen. To my knowledge, all of my drivers are updated. I'm using an Alienware 15 R2 laptop, the system information of which specifically says x64-based PC.  I'm running Windows 10 and have 8.00GB of memory.

Sims 4 Legacy Edition has no problem running, but I'd really like to run the updated version of the game WHICH I HAVE PURCHASED CONTENT FOR THAT CANNOT RUN ON LEGACY.

I don't have Rivatuner or Afterburner.

I've tried removing my mods.

I've tried moving the game file to my desktop and letting it create a new one. 

I've tried changing just about every setting that any online guide has told me to change. 

I've tried running the game with the Origin In-Game Overlay both on and off.

I've tried adding "-w und" to the Command Line Arguments as some online tutorial told me to do for this issue.

I don't know what to do, but I feel pretty ripped off, given that I've purchased the University pack and can't even use it, nor will origin refund me. Of course I haven't downloaded a single pack of any sort since, for fear I may not be able to use it.

I've included my DxDiag.txt

I know very little about computers and am really scared of messing this one up, as it's the first nice computer I've ever owned, and it was nearly $2,000 when it was purchased. (For reference I'm used to what were effectively 100 dollar refurbished potatoes with keyboards attached that couldn't even run Paint Tool SAI smoothly, let alone a game.) 

Message 1 of 2 (251 Views)

Re: sims 4 crashes instantly upon startup

@Zenjpeg  So you're sure that MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner isn't running in the background without your knowledge?  The two Sims 4 errors in your dxdiag are exactly what we see when one of those apps is preventing the game from loading.  You can check the Task Manager's background processes list to make sure.

If neither of those apps is running, try reinstalling DirectX 9.  You don't need to uninstall anything; just download the installer from Microsoft and run it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

While you're at it, repair the game: open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Origin:

• First, clear Origin's cache.
  • Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders.  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 4 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (240 Views)