sims 3 unicorn

by Nena16lovex

Original Post

sims 3 unicorn

★★ Novice

Hello. my name is Nena and i live in the netherlands,

I have a problem with the sims 3 pets. i really hope someone can help me.

I have the sims 3 pets for 7 jears. they say there would be unicorns in this game. i know that if you want to find a unicorn you should have al lot of patience and search well. but i play this game for seven years and i have never seen one. i know how to search for them. I have searcht for one sim week every night looking on the map from 8 pm til 5 am. but i didnt find one.

Now i think somthing is wrong with my game. 

Does anyone now how to solve this problem? i really really really want to play with unicorns in sims.

I hope to hear from someone soon,

Message 1 of 8 (1,326 Views)

Re: sims 3 unicorn

@Nena16lovex  When you're looking for a unicorn in Map View, make sure you have the game clock running so that the glow shows up..  It doesn't always happen, but you should definitely have seen one by now.  What world(s) are you playing in?  Does it make a difference if you start a new save in Appaloosa Plains?  It's possible that the unicorn is spawning in the wrong place in your existing world, and either you can't see it, or it gets reset.

If you've disabled horses in the game settings, it may also disable unicorns.  Or if you have a mod that affects pets in any way, that may also interfere.  An easy test is to start a new save in a clean game folder, without any content at all added back in.  Move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, launch the game to create a clean folder, and test, again in Appaloosa Plains.

Finally, do you see wild animals, horses or otherwise, in your current save(s) in general?  Aside from game settings, some players don't see any wild animals spawn at all.  This can be related to having a computer that's underpowered for the game, or that the game thinks is underpowered.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (1,301 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict . thank you for your reaction.

I play in the world Appaloosa plains.

All the mods that i have in the game are mods for clothes and hair. Can they affect the unicorn? also i first installed a mod 1 year ago.  i never saw a unicorn before that.

What i do notice is that my computer is running out of memory. I also notice that the dragon egg i have in the game won't come out( its like al the magical things in the game are not working) Can this have anithing to do witch each other?

I do see other wild animals, also horses. but just never a unicorn.

Message 3 of 8 (1,238 Views)

@Nena16lovex  It's unlikely (possible, but unlikely) that custom content hair and clothing would have any effect on the wild animal population.  But the dragon egg not hatching could be related, and your computer running out of memory could definitely be the cause.  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post, so I can take a look.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 8 (1,219 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

I think i have now added the file in this post? I hope you can see it.

if not let me know !

Message 5 of 8 (1,189 Views)

@Nena16lovex  Yes, I can see it fine.  The most obvious issue is that you have zero free space on your C drive.  I'm guessing data is being redirected to D (it looks like this is one drive partitioned into two), or else your computer would have stopped working a long time ago.  Still, you need to free up at least 20 GB on C before you can rule that out as an issue.

However, your computer's hardware isn't really strong enough to handle Pets, or any of the more demanding packs.  That's not to say you can't or shouldn't play, and this system has survived a long time.  But it's possibly that no unicorns is just a symptom of the hardware not being able to keep up with the demands the game places on it.

You could test by starting a new save in a clean folder.  Move your existing Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts (and definitely onto your D drive—if you need to, just create a folder on it called Backup or something), then launch the game to create a new folder.  Start a save in Appaloosa Plains, the world that came with Pets, and see if you can spot a unicorn.

Another possibility, although I'm not sure how likely it is, is that the unicorn is spawning but your graphics card isn't rendering the aura that you're looking for in Map View.  The card is quite old, and its driver is old as well, so it's possible that it's not doing its job here.  This is harder to test, unless you want to manually check every park, fishing spot, etc. in town every night.  There is a mod that can help search for sims on a map, although I've never used it specifically to look for unicorns.  Let me know if you're interested.

Message 6 of 8 (1,168 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Sorry that i have not responded for so long, that is because i can now continue with my exams for school.

After that I will free up as much space as possible on my computer. would it help if i delete a lot of sims families ?. and where can I see the difference between drive c and drive d? I am definitely interested in the mod you propose. where can I download it?

I like to hear from you.

thanks for all your help so far!

Message 7 of 8 (1,071 Views)

@Nena16lovex  Don't worry about the delay.  People don't always have time to troubleshoot, but they come back when they can, and there's always someone here.

Open a File Explorer window, click This PC in the left panel, and you'll see your two drives listed.  I think they might actually be the same drive, but partitioned (as in, someone used software to split a single physical drive into two separate designations).  Unfortunately, you can't merge the two partitions unless you either delete the D drive (losing all your data) or you use third-party software.  But you can still free up space on C by moving files manually.

Without knowing what you have on each drive, I can't tell you what your options are.  But you can look for yourself: right-click on any folder, select Properties, and see how much storage (in GB) it takes up.  Your goal should be to free up about 20 GB on C, so look around a bit and see what you can move to D.  When you click This PC and then the C drive, you'll see all the folders on C minus a few that Windows hides by default, so you'll be able to quickly find out what's taking up a lot of storage.

The Sims 3  folder in Documents\Electronic Arts holds all your user data, and it needs to be specifically in Documents\Electronic Arts, or the game won't read it.  You can move some files elsewhere though, for example if you have a lot of screenshots.  They'll open like normal image files no matter where you store them.  You can also temporarily move saves you're not playing to a different location, and move them back when you want to use them.  There's no need to delete the saves outright.

If you need help figuring out what to move, let me know, and give me an idea of the sizes of the large folders on C.

As for the mod, NRaas MasterController has, among its many functions, the option to focus on any sim currently in the world.  So if there is a unicorn somewhere, MC will find it and show you where it is.  When you have it installed, click on City Hall and select NRaas > MasterController > Focus, then choose a filter to narrow down the list.  "Species" should work, or maybe "Type of pet pool."  If you have trouble with this, let me know, and I'll experiment a bit myself, but I've never specifically searched for a unicorn before, so I don't know exactly what categories to choose.

If you've never installed mods before, this is a good guide:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Message 8 of 8 (1,041 Views)