sims 3 stuttering while panning the camera around

by SimPlumbobGreen

Original Post

Re: sims 3 stuttering while panning the camera around

★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591 I checked to see if there were any driver updates. There was one, and it was an intel chipset. During gameplay only about 5% of my processor is being used for processes other than The Sims 3.

Message 11 of 25 (11,446 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimPlumbobGreen Is TS3 up to date? What is the version of the game? If the game worked smoothly before and now stutters so something has changed. You are right - the computer hardware should play the game. To find the problem you have to start with the obvious and work your way to the least obvious. Either you have some software interfering with the video or something using excessive cpu time. I use the overwatch mod to clean up the game and I get a stutter when I first start TS3 but game runs fine after overwatch finishes the cleanup.

Message 12 of 25 (11,433 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591 I'm currently running the game in version 1.69.43.024017 (the latest I believe). How would I find out if some software was interfering with my game? I'll try the overwatch mod and see how it affects performance.

Message 13 of 25 (11,425 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimPlumbobGreen This is where know your computer comes in - what programs run at startup? What programs are running in the background? Another possibility did your computer pick up a virus? Any adware? A keylogger? When the Italian Princess (my wife) uses the computer I get all kinds of coupon bars and search for whatever bars in the browser. She had to install some software so she could print from her Android device. What a mess that was.

Thought - you could try to start a new game and see if the new game would has the same problem. This will tell you if the save game you were playing is causing the issue.

There are programs that will start the computer with only what is needed to run the games. see game booster

BTW: if you haven't already downloaded and installed ccleaner from Piriform (there is a free version) - do so - great utility program.

There is a program called game booster but I have never used it but some people in the forums have talked about it.

Message 14 of 25 (11,421 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@roberta591 Not too many programs run during startup or in the background. most of the startup programs are just little things like my antivirus, other small things that I doubt would have a drastic change in game performance. I also highly doubt my computer has picked up a virus, for I haven't had any of the symptoms of one. I started a new save alongside over watch, and it did seem to help just a little bit; however, there is still the occasional stutter which is very aggravating. I do already use Razer game booster when playing The Sims 3.
Message 15 of 25 (11,417 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@roberta591 I will look into ccleaner
Message 16 of 25 (11,416 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591 Hi! I just recently restored my computer back to factory default. I launched The Sims 3, and so far it's flawless. But I haven't installed any of the Expansion Packs yet. However, it did say that the video card was not recognized when I first launched the game. I checked the GPU activity and The Sims 3 was in there. So should I be worried? The game runs smooth still. 

Message 17 of 25 (14,205 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimPlumbobGreen I recently upgraded my video card and TS3 said my card was not identified and was putting all settings to high and the game runs good - if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you start having problems the with video you may have modify the files on how to enable the game to properly id the video chip. I wouldn't worry about it until it becomes an issue.

Message 18 of 25 (11,391 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@roberta591 I'll take your advice and not try to fix something if it isn't broke. There's still one minor issue. In full screen the game visually tears, like lines going through the screen. Its bearable, and can be fixed by either enabling Vsync through the Nvidia control panel, or running the game in windowed mode. But when I enable Vsync through the control panel, it adds input lag. I don't prefer windowed mode though, so is there any way to remove the visual tearing?

Message 19 of 25 (11,387 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@SimPlumbobGreen I think that's because of how the game is assigning default settings. Here is a wiki on how to change the game to id your video chip - new graphics chip It's not too bad just follow it through.

Message 20 of 25 (11,371 Views)