Re: sims 3 not launching on windows 10 (acer notebook)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

sims 3 not launching on windows 10 (acer notebook)

★★ Novice

Hi Team. Can you help a gal out ? I'm a little out of my depth with computers and I have basic knowledge of PC's.
I recently bought a new acer notebook (model - N20H2) and purchased & downloaded sim 3 via Origin.
I was able to download the programs with no issue, however when I try to launch the game it bounces back and forth from starting in Origin, then back to the sims launcher.
I've tried most suggestions that I can find, however no change.
I've removed & re-installed the programs 3 times and no change. 
I've tried moving the sims 3 folder to the desktop, checking that all the settings in control panel are right and still no change.
Does anyone have any advice that can get this game working ?
I've been trying to get it sorted on my own for the last 2 days. 

Thanks in advance !

Message 1 of 6 (936 Views)

@blondeandbeagle  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus you use.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (908 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've attached the info. 

I'm using the pre-installed Microsoft defender

Message 3 of 6 (895 Views)

@blondeandbeagle  Please start with a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, please restart again afterwards.

If you still can't play, please do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Origin:

• Quit Origin, then right-click on the Task Bar and open the Task Manager.  Scroll through looking for Origin entries.  If you find any, click on them and End Task.
  • Clear Origin's cache.
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Origin from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • When it finishes uninstalling, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • If Revo finds any remaining registry entries, select all, delete, and click Next.
  • Revo will display "Remaining Data and Folders."  Select all of them except for the "Origin Games" folder, if it appears.  (This is where Sims 3 and other Origin games are installed by default.)  Delete the rest.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

Next, download the full Origin installer and run it.  Here's the direct download link:

http://download.dm.origin.com/origin/live/OriginSetup.exe

Be sure to run both the installer and Origin itself as an admin: right-click on each and select "Run as Administrator."

Message 4 of 6 (892 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I followed all the steps you recommended, however still no change. 
The last step I tried was to reinstall Origin, however the game is still  jumping back and forth with no change. 

Any other ideas ? 

Message 5 of 6 (875 Views)

@blondeandbeagle  Sorry for the delay.  As it turns out, another person with exactly the same errors as you do also has an Acer laptop with exactly the same processor and graphics chip and exactly the same graphics driver, which strongly suggests the driver itself may be the issue.  I was waiting to hear back from them as to whether my latest suggestion helped before suggesting you replace the driver.  However, since that person responded yet, I didn't want to leave you hanging any longer.

You could of course go through all the suggestions in this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-does-not-open-on-a-new-PC-neither-from-Origin-o...

But, spoiler alert, none of them have worked yet.  So if you prefer, you can skip right to the point where you install a driver from Intel.  Download the .exe here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

Run it as an admin, as in, right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Restart again afterwards.

You may get an error that the driver isn't compatible with your hardware, which in this case means Acer wants you to use the driver it provides.  You can work around that though.  Go back to the Intel download page, grab the .zip, then right-click and Extract.  Choose a destination that's easy to access, e.g. your desktop.

Hit Windows key-X, select the Device Manager, expand "Display adapters," right-click the graphics chip listed, and select Update driver.  Choose Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick > Have disk > Browse, open the folder that contains the extracted driver, choose the file called iidg_dch.inf, and open it.  If asked, make sure to choose the graphics chip (e.g. Intel Graphics something) and let the driver install.  Restart again when you're done.

Message 6 of 6 (828 Views)