Re: sims 3 laggy as hell

by jordantan05

Original Post

sims 3 laggy as hell

★ Apprentice

Title says all. I have a save file which is extremely laggy, i do not know how much FPS it is because I have no FPS counter, other saves play smoothly. The only time the save runs smoothly is when I pause, i do not know why this is the only save to run so terribly and I hope there is a solution.

Message 1 of 12 (697 Views)

@jordantan05  You can enable the in-game fps counter by opening the cheats console (ctrl-shift-C) and entering "fps on" without quotes.  The counter will appear in the upper-right corner of the screen.

Please let me know what world you're currently playing in and whether you use mods or custom content.  It's fine if you do, but that does need to be taken into account.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (678 Views)

★ Apprentice

The game is running at around 100-200 FPS so I guess its not really the FPS problem, but it is still goddamn slow. Playing in sunset valley and I do not have mods or cc. Also what is this dxdiag?

Message 3 of 12 (635 Views)

@jordantan05  A dxdiag is a kind of system report, listing installed devices and drivers as well as recent Windows errors.  It's a useful place to start looking for potential issues, for example I might see an error that suggests a potential problem with the graphics driver, which could happen even if the driver is fully updated.

The link I posted gives instructions for providing a dxdiag, but in case you 'd rather see it written out:

• Hit Windows key-R, and a run box will appear in the lower-left corner of your screen
  • Write dxdiag in that run box, and enter
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Click "Save all information," and save the .txt file to your desktop
  • Click Reply (not Quick Reply) to my post, then click the Browse button below the text field, select your dxdiag, and attach it

Message 4 of 12 (630 Views)

★ Apprentice

so sorry for the late reply

Message 5 of 12 (554 Views)

@jordantan05  Your C drive is quite low on space, with less than 5 GB free, and in addition, a component of OneDrive is throwing errors.  So the place to start is with clearing more space: another 20 GB would be ideal, but at least 10 is necessary.  If there isn't enough data you can conveniently move to D, try clearing out the Downloads folder.

If your save still lags, try playing while your computer is offline.  You can sign into Origin or the EA App and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable before pressing Play.  This is to keep OneDrive out of the picture, or at least its attempts to sync your files.

By the way, is there a reason you haven't updated Windows in a while?  Your build is two years old and is out of support now.  Windows wouldn't be able to install a feature update without >20 GB free on C, so if you've been low on space for a while, that would explain the old build.  I can help you update it if the standard method (through Windows Settings) doesn't do the trick, but either way, you'll need more free space.

Message 6 of 12 (541 Views)

★ Apprentice

Honestly im not even sure why my C drive or D drive is so full, there is so many files I do not recall installing stuff like that

Message 7 of 12 (517 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jordantan05  Feel free to post some screenshots of applications or other data you don't remember downloading.  Or, if you know what it is and you're sure you don't want it on your computer, you can use Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) to remove everything associated with a given program.  This is more thorough than simply uninstalling through the Control Panel.

Regardless of what data this is, you need to clear more space on C, and D is full enough you'll probably want to go through its contents sooner or later as well.

Message 8 of 12 (503 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

How does this revo uninstaller work?

Message 9 of 12 (489 Views)

@jordantan05  Revo removes the application's program files as well as registry entries and other references, basically cleaning out every file that the app would have created on your PC.  This is important because some programs can leave behind extraneous data or even a tool that reinstalls the program after it's been removed.  I wrote out how to use Revo for Sims 3 in another thread recently:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/The-Sims-3-won-t-launch-instead-opens-EA-app-Windows-1...

The results Revo shows you will differ depending on the app in question, but the concept is very similar in any case.

Message 10 of 12 (480 Views)