Re: sims 3 keeps crashing and no error codes

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

sims 3 keeps crashing and no error codes

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm playing the sims 3 but sims 3 keeps crashing and closing out by it self no error code or without my command to quit two of my sim where going max out there painting skills and one was level six gardening until the game crash. also i didn't tell it to close the game also it didn't give an option to save the game or anything.  i talk to ea tech support they don't why the sims 3 closing out and crash.

Message 1 of 7 (1,629 Views)

Accepted Solution

@sim31984  You're getting DirectX12 through Windows 10.  Sims 3 uses DirectX 9.  Please run the installer and let me know whether it helps, and try the other steps listed in my previous post.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (1,508 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

@sim31984  I've moved your post to the Sims 3 PC tech section.

Please run a dxdiag on your computer and attach the results to a post here.  If you happen to be on a Mac, please list its specs, as described in the second link below.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Please also list the packs you have installed.

Message 2 of 7 (1,599 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

all expansion pacts and some stuff pact also all worlds except 3

@puzzlezaddict 

Message 3 of 7 (1,586 Views)

@sim31984  There are a few different kinds of errors related to Sims 3 listed in your dxdiag.  The easiest place to start is to reinstall DirectX 9 and a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime that the game uses, just to be thorough.  Both are mentioned in the errors, and while it's not clear that the existing files are corrupt, reinstalling shouldn't do any harm.

For DirectX 9, you can just download and install a new copy without needing to do anything else.  Here's Microsoft's download page; even though it's not listed, the installer works fine in Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8109

For the Visual C++ runtime, you'll need to uninstall the existing version first.  Click the Windows icon in the lower left corner of your screen and select Settings > Apps.  Scroll to where the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables are listed, and uninstall the 2005 x86 version only; this is the one Sims 3 uses.  Then download a new copy from Microsoft.  You only need to run vcredist_86.exe, not the others.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

Once you've installed these, please remove your entire Sims 3 game folder from Documents\Electronic Arts; you can put it on your desktop.  Launch the game, which will create a clean folder with no content.  Play around for a while and see if it crashes.  If it doesn't, you can copy your current save (in Saves) from your old game folder to your new one and test again.  If you have mods or cc, don't worry about those yet—it's best to try this in a clean game folder.  Since you're copying and not just moving the save, you'll still have a backup that will be unaffected by the missing content.

If the game crashes in a clean folder, either when you're testing with a new save or playing your current one, please let me know.  And I'd like to see the Reliability Monitor entry for the crash as well.  Immediately after the game crashes, hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, then look for the most recent entries (they'll be timestamped).  For any entry that happened while you were playing, click on it to get more info, then paste that info here.  If there are several, you can use a spoiler tag.

Message 4 of 7 (1,577 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm getting directx through Microsoft update for windows 10

Message 5 of 7 (1,521 Views)

@sim31984  You're getting DirectX12 through Windows 10.  Sims 3 uses DirectX 9.  Please run the installer and let me know whether it helps, and try the other steps listed in my previous post.

Message 6 of 7 (1,509 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

it was a corupted file

Message 7 of 7 (1,414 Views)