sims 3 does it lag after playing it for a long period

by Ayamjago56

Original Post

Accepted Solution

sims 3 does it lag after playing it for a long period

★★★★★ Apprentice

Im willing to purchase sims 3 and also likely most of the eps. But will it lag/crash/freezes if i played the game for a long period of time or hours?

Message 1 of 39 (1,751 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: sims 3 does it lag after playing it for a long period

@Ayamjago56  If you play through Origin, as in, you open your Origin game library, click on the Sims 3 icon, and press Play, then Origin will (should) patch the game for you, and running the Super Patch can damage the install.  In that case, please repair the game as I described earlier.  If you don't need to open Origin to play Sims 3, then you should run the Super Patch.

Simply having your game registered within Origin is irrelevant; the point is whether Origin itself controls the install or not.  If it does not, then you need to patch manually.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 39 of 39 (1,591 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Ayamjago56To be honest, that is a bit of a tough question to answer. The Sims 3 needs a bit of work to get it running smoothly, but there are steps you can take to ensure that your gameplay remains as lag-free as possible.

Some of those include installing certain Nraas mods, using the "Save As" option so you don't overwrite the same save file over and over, capping your FPS and using the save cleaner to remove some bloat.

From personal experience, I have some long-running save files that haven't been affected by lag.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 39 (1,746 Views)

@Ayamjago56  Under ideal conditions, Sims 3 can run for hours with no lag or freezing.  However, how close you can get to those ideal conditions depends in large part on your computer's hardware.  So if you want at least a rough idea of what kind of performance you might be able to get, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

This will report your hardware and some other basic info.

Message 3 of 39 (1,721 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Ayamjago56  As long as your computer is sufficient for it there is no need to add mods. I play the game like it is, and without issues.

Message 4 of 39 (1,710 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Okay so I’m planning to get a gaming laptop to play TS3.

The specifications are:

-Acer Spire E5-476G

-Processor: intel core i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80 Ghz with Turbo boost up to 4GHz

-Ram: 1X4096 MB (8GB DDR4-2400 / Pc4-19200) slot memory 2

-Hard disc:1000 GB HDD + 1 slot ssd M.2

-VGA: Intel HD graphics 620 + Nvidia geforce MX130 2 GB

will these specifications be alright for me to play the game smoothly with lots of EPs. Or is better to get PC than a gaming laptop?

Message 5 of 39 (1,647 Views)

@Ayamjago56  That computer isn't a gaming laptop, regardless of what its description says.  Its MX130 is fast enough for some expansions but probably not for Pets and Seasons, and possibly not for Isla Paradiso or Into the Future either.

It wouldn't prevent you from playing, but you'd get much faster loading times on a computer with a solid state drive.  Most gaming computers have one now, although it's not surprising that this model, which is a few years old, wouldn't come with one pre-installed.

If you want to be able to play with all packs installed, look for a laptop or desktop with an Nvidia 1650; a 1050 or AMD 560 would do in a pinch, but you'd probably have to turn down some of the graphics settings, especially on a laptop.  Below that, you might find that the game crashes constantly with the most demanding packs installed, although some people do manage to run all the packs on lower-end computers.

Part of the reason I can't give you a definitive answer is that performance on laptops especially can vary a lot.  There are numerous reasons, including but not limited to power settings that often aren't reachable for users.  So I don't want to tell you that this laptop would run the game fine: it might be fine for your purposes, but it also might not be, and that's a lot of money to spend on a risky proposition.

Message 6 of 39 (1,642 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictSo are you're implying that buying a pc would result in likely a better performance for this game and all eps?

Message 7 of 39 (1,638 Views)

@Ayamjago56  That depends on the specs of the PC.  A gaming laptop with an Nvidia 1650 will run Sims 3 better than a desktop with no dedicated graphics card, but a desktop with a 1650 will run the game better than a laptop with a 1650.

If you'd like some suggestions for what kind of computer you might want, just list your budget and country, and I'll take a look.

Message 8 of 39 (1,634 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict My budget is around $600 approximately and I live in Indonesia. Also I heard from my friend that a laptop will usually run games laggier than a pc but not sure if that's 100% true.

Message 9 of 39 (1,632 Views)

@Ayamjago56  I'm not at all sure what the market is like in Indonesia, sorry.  But you should probably be able to do at least a little better than the laptop you described.  I can take a look at some websites if you want to like a few where you'd be willing to buy.

There are two main issues with gaming on a laptop.  The first is that laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware of the same level.  For example, a desktop 1650 is about 10% faster than a laptop 1650; the size of the gap depends on the graphics card in question.  The second is that laptops overheat more easily, especially when running at or close to their limit.  When that happens, the system will throttle performance to protect the hardware.  This can happen on a desktop too, but desktops generally have better cooling.

The bottom line is, you can play fine on a laptop, as long as you're okay with slightly worse performance and you make sure it can cool itself properly.

Normally a desktop would be a bit cheaper than an equivalent laptop, but when you factor in the cost of a monitor, that often isn't the case.  Still, a desktop is usually a better value overall because of the performance and because you can upgrade it or repair it if something breaks.

Message 10 of 39 (1,629 Views)