Re: sims 3 crashes after multiple genrations

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

sims 3 crashes after multiple genrations

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have a sims 3 save file that keeps crashing when I try to take a sim to University. I have a family who's been through 10 generations and I'm worried that this is causing my game to crash so much. I wanted to save a copy of all my sims to the game library, evict all of the sims, and then replace them with a copy. 

However, whenever I try to do anything in Edit Town mode, my game crashes. (Error 12). I use the Master Controller, Story Progression, Error Trap, and Overwatch mods. I also use a disc, not origin. Does anybody know how I can stop my game from crashing whenever I try to replace my sims? OR, does anybody know how I can prevent my game from crashing when I try sending my sims to University. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4 (772 Views)

[ Edited ]

@tlobliviate  I've moved your post to the PC tech section, since it sounds like you're playing on a Windows PC.

The simplest fix, if it works, is to install NRaas Traveler.  It replaces the fragile EA travel transition with one that's much more stable and less prone to breaking.  It may also help to run a MasterController town reset: click on City Hall and select NRaas > MC > Town Options > Reset Everything.  If you don't want your active sims reset, you can exempt them in settings: NRaas > MC > Settings > Include Active Lot in Reset Everything > False.

However, it sounds like this save is already quite overloaded, or perhaps somewhat unstable.  How much memory does it use right after loading?  You can open the Task Manager before you launch it, then put the game in windowed mode and alt-tab to the TM to see.  If it's displaying percentages, right-click on the Memory header and switch to absolute values.  Please also let me know how much RAM your computer has overall.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (757 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I reset everything in my town, but that didn't seem to help. When I load up the game it takes about 2.06 GB of memory from what I remember. It ranges from about 2.5 to 1.98 GB. My computer (mac) has 12 GB of RAM. I am playing on a Mac desktop with a disc. I have 9 expansion packs installed, which might also be slowing things down. What do you think? Also, what happens if I uninstall one? If objects from that pack are in my household, will they disappear? 

I'm considering moving all of my sims to a new save file and just trying again. I'd rather not, but I agree with you that my save file is overloaded. Do you know if large family trees affect the game? Also, do you know if the amount of time you play a save file affects how well that save file works? 

Message 3 of 4 (729 Views)

@tlobliviate  I didn't realize you were playing the Mac version.  (It's been a long few months.)  And if you're using a disc, then you have the old version, the one that's limited to using 2 GB RAM.  There does seem to be a bit of wiggle room around that number, as in, the game won't automatically crash if you go over.  But it'll be unstable, saving will be difficult, the save can lose data, and corruption can creep in even if there's nothing else wrong with the save itself.

What model Mac do you have?  There's not much overlap between Macs that can still use Sims 3 discs and those that can run the 64-bit version, but it's worth checking anyway.  Please list your computer's specs, including operating system, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/32-bit-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p...

If you can in fact run the 64-bit version, that would help a lot, but if you can't, then playing becomes a question of trying to keep memory use down as much as possible.

And to answer your question, if you remove an expansion pack that your save has been using, it will likely either corrupt the save completely or prevent the save from loading at all.  It's not just about missing items; other sim data is dependent on installed packs as well.  For example, a sim with a lifetime wish from a pack might not be playable once that pack is removed.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (721 Views)