Re: sims 3 cc/saves doesn't show up

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

sims 3 cc/saves doesn't show up

★★★ Novice

Hi !!

I stopped playing the Sims 3 for a while and I came back to it and all my mods aren't showing up in the Sims. I installed some new custom worlds and they do show up in game, but the cas ccs don't show up even though theyre in my mods folder. I took them out of my sims 3 folder and created a new mod folder by launching the game, put them back in and it didn't work. I also tried installing a new package file and it doesn't work either. i've also tried deleting some cache fles and it hasn't worked either. if it's worth anything my save files also dissapeared, and with some digging i can get them to work but only half the time i launch the game. pretty confusing.....help?

Message 1 of 7 (581 Views)
Highlighted

@jvplter  It sounds like the game might be reading a different Sims 3 folder than the one where you've added your custom content.  The same could be true of the saves, although it's strange that they'd show up some of the time but not all.  Still, please double-check: inside the Sims 3 folder where you've added your cc, look at the modified date on deviceconfig.log.  It should exactly match the last time you opened the game.  If you're not sure when that was, launch it now (you can quit at the Main Menu) and check the timestamp on the file.

If the deviceconfig didn't update, that means the game is reading a different folder, and you'll need to find it.  You can search your computer: open a File Explorer window, click This PC in the left panel, and enter deviceconfig in the search field in the upper-right corner.  Each user folder the game has ever read will have exactly one of these files, so once you find the one that's been updated most recently, you'll know where your cc and saves need to go.

If you're not sure what you're looking at, feel free to post screenshots of the folder(s) in question.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (545 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Alright, so I've found the file you were talking about. I've noticed while going around that my computer basically has 3 different Sims 3 folders; one on my PC, one that's on my PC's OneDrive and one that in my Steam app. The Steam app has no deviceconfig file, and the one that's updated most recently is the one in my OneDrive (I'd rather it not go on my OneDrive but it always seems default to go there). 

My sims files type of ccs do appear inside the game, but not the package files (I do have resource cfg on it)

EDIT; found another deviceconfig file that was more recent in another folder so I transferred all my things into there again, and now none of my saves are appearing again. It really seems like my Sims picks and chooses what folder it opens everytime i open it lol. Also i forgot to mention that my computer is brand new and i installed the sims game from steam and transferred my save files from my old computer

Message 3 of 7 (529 Views)

@jvplter  I'm guessing the Steam folder you referenced is this one:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3

This contains the game's program files and has nothing to do with the user folder, so you can leave that alone.

Since this computer is new, I'd suggest getting OneDrive out of the picture.  But before doing anything else, please let me know what the default location of Documents is on your computer.  Open a File Explorer window, right-click Documents in the left panel (the entry with the special icon), select Properties, and list the file path you see in the Location tab.  If there is no Location tab, that's fine, just let me know, and look for the file path in the General tab.

Message 4 of 7 (516 Views)

★★★ Novice

Well weirdly enough the documents don't show up on the left pannel at all, which i've never seen before. When I looked up Documents I again found 2 folders, one that's from my user files and the other is from OneDrive. 

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_1.png

Message 5 of 7 (509 Views)

@jvplter  In this user profile, the location of the Documents directory is within OneDrive: that's why the OneDrive version has a Location tab when you view Properties.  So please change that default location to C:\Users\logan , with no OneDrive in the file path.  Here's how:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/move-or-restore-default-location-of-documents-folder-in-windows-11.870...

Once you've done that, restart your computer and make sure the change stuck.  The Location tab under Properties should be a giveaway, it's a good idea to double-check. Hit Windows key-X, select Windows Terminal (Administrator) or PowerShell (Administrator), whichever option you see, copy and paste this command, and enter:

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal"

The console will report the file path to this user profile's Documents folder.

Once Documents is where it should be and not within the OneDrive folder, anything you add to the correct Documents folder should show up in-game again.  But I'd also suggest unlinking OneDrive, that is if you don't have a specific use for it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe...

If you do want OneDrive running, tell it not to automatically sync the contents of Documents:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98...

You may need to pause syncing and/or cancel the current sync first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69...

As for accessing the correct Documents folder, you can do so by opening This PC (in the left panel) > C > Users > your username > Documents.  You can right-click on the folder to pin it as well.

Message 6 of 7 (500 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you!

In the documents folder in my user folder, I have two sims 3 folders for some reason. My sims 3 files ccs work but not the ones in my mods folder (in reality my mods folder completely dissapeared) so i'm going to try and reput my package files in a new mod folder

Message 7 of 7 (488 Views)