sims 3 base game wont install

by katsimming

Original Post

Re: sims 3 base game wont install

★ Apprentice

here you go!

Message 11 of 38 (610 Views)

@katsimming  What you're looking at is the installers for the 2010, 2013, and 2015 vc++ runtimes, not the runtimes themselves.  And I think you're still looking in Origin's program files?  I suggested you run the installers from there because it's simpler than tracking down all the downloads from Microsoft.

But to uninstall a runtime, if it's there, you need to click the Windows icon, then Settings, then Apps, then look through the list of your installed apps.  If the 2005 vc++ is there, uninstall it and install the new one from Microsoft.  If it's not there, just install the new one.

By the way, you can't bypass the launcher on an Origin/Windows install, so that wouldn't help.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 38 (600 Views)

★ Apprentice

should I install the one from Microsoft?

Message 13 of 38 (590 Views)

@katsimming  Yes, uninstall the one in the photo and install the Microsoft version.

If that doesn't help, hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes.  In the File Explorer window that opens, click the button to "turn Windows features on and off."  You should see something like this:

Windows features (+.NET).png

Please make sure the box next to .NET Framework 3.5 is filled in; the entry is highlighted in blue at the top.  If it's not, click the box, and it will install.

Message 14 of 38 (581 Views)

★ Apprentice

this might be a stupid question but when I go to download C++2005 do I download all 3 of the things that come up or the 86 one? sorry I dont know much about this.

I downloaded just the 86 one and when I click on the game on origin I no longer get just a black screen. the actual play screen comes up but when I press play it still brings me back to origin. do I download the other two or just uninstall and reinstall the game again?

Message 15 of 38 (574 Views)

@katsimming  You only need the x86, since the game doesn't use the x64, and the IA is for servers.

Did you check the status of .NET 3.5?  When it's not installed properly, what happens is exactly what you've described.  If it's already enabled, you can repair it with this tool from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If that doesn't work either, please run a dxdiag and attach the results to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 16 of 38 (564 Views)

★ Apprentice

i checked the .net 3.5 and the box was filled in, I repaired it with the tool but still had the same problem when i went to play the game.

Message 17 of 38 (556 Views)

@katsimming  It might be your antivirus/firewall blocking the game from launching, or from writing to the Documents folder.  Try disabling it temporarily, just long enough to test.  If the game launches, you can set exceptions for Origin.exe and TS3.exe.

And make sure Windows Defender's Controlled Folder Access isn't blocking the game either.  The same idea applies: if Controlled Folder Access is enabled, set exceptions for Origin.exe and TS3.exe.  This post is for Sims 4, but it's the same process:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

Before you do anything else, go into Documents\Electronic Arts and remove your Sims 3 game folder, if you have one.  If the permissions on that folder are messed up, the easiest way to fix it is to spawn a new folder, which the game will do the next time it loads.

Message 18 of 38 (547 Views)

★ Apprentice

I deleted the game folder. I cant access the ransom wear protection even tho im the administrator. this is getting so frustrating.

Message 19 of 38 (532 Views)

★ Apprentice

ok so I figured it out and followed the steps from the link but the launcher still isn't coming up.

Message 20 of 38 (520 Views)