redownloading sims 3, unknown error

by brookiealison789

Original Post

Re: redownloading sims 3, unknown error

★★★ Novice

oh sorry, okay here we go Standard smile

Message 21 of 24 (469 Views)

@brookiealison789  Okay, it looks like everything's fine there.  (I asked because the same problem with the quotation marks caught me when I first tried to edit my own files.)

One more thing you can try is launching the game in a new user account on your mac.  Click on the Applic icon in the upper right corner of your screen and select System Preferences.  In Users and Groups (it's the fourth row, second from the left for me), click on the lock and enter your password.  You can now add another account.  Click the + icon on the left and input a username and password.  Make sure you select Administrator from the dropdown menu at the top of the window.  A standard acocunt, or one with parental controls, may not be able to run the game.

Once you've created the new account, restart your computer, then login to that account instead.  You should still see TS3 in Applications.  See if it works any better in this account.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 24 (1,111 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oh my goodness, it’s actually working! Wow. 

Do you know why I can’t play it on my normal Mac users account thought ? 

Thankyou so so much wow!! I’ve been through so many things to try and work this game haha.

what expansions should I stay away from installing? I have most of her purchashed but have heard some of them are not compatible anymore and will make your game crash 

Message 23 of 24 (456 Views)

@brookiealison789  What I think is that there's a leftover file somewhere from a previous uninstall.  It's really hard to find all of them, and sometimes Origin adds extra files that shouldn't be there—for example, when I test installed about six months ago, I found a file for Seasons, even though I'd only installed the base game.  The new user account doesn't access any of these leftover files, just the program files for the game itself.  Sometimes it's the only way to be sure that the other hidden files aren't going to cause problems.

Now that you have the game running, you should theoretically be able to install any pack you want.  But with your Intel 6000, it would be best to stay away from Pets, Seasons, Into the Future, and Island Paradise.  They're the four most demanding packs on a graphics card, plus they take up the most memory.  On a mac, TS3 can only use 2 GB RAM before crashing, and running all expansion packs at the same time might put you close to that limit and crash the game before you've even had a chance build up a save.  The early EPs are comparatively mild, as are all the stuff packs.

The four packs that don't install properly are Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living.  But there are two workarounds you can apply, and they should always fix the issue.  The exact instructions depend on which packs you want to install, but the processes are straightforward.  Since you handled the .sgr edits just fine, you shouldn't have any trouble with these either.

So if you let me know which packs you'd like to try, I'll write out the instructions for installing them.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 24 of 24 (446 Views)