Accepted Solution

redownloading sims 3, unknown error

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

did you ever get this fixed?

Message 1 of 24 (796 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: redownloading sims 3, unknown error

@brookiealison789  Okay, it looks like everything's fine there.  (I asked because the same problem with the quotation marks caught me when I first tried to edit my own files.)

One more thing you can try is launching the game in a new user account on your mac.  Click on the Applic icon in the upper right corner of your screen and select System Preferences.  In Users and Groups (it's the fourth row, second from the left for me), click on the lock and enter your password.  You can now add another account.  Click the + icon on the left and input a username and password.  Make sure you select Administrator from the dropdown menu at the top of the window.  A standard acocunt, or one with parental controls, may not be able to run the game.

Once you've created the new account, restart your computer, then login to that account instead.  You should still see TS3 in Applications.  See if it works any better in this account.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 22 of 24 (1,112 Views)

All Replies

Re: I'm redownloading sims 3, it's been finalizing for a long time, is that norm

@brookiealison789  Can you please describe your issue in more detail?  There are plenty of problems you might run into while trying to install Sims 3.  They're almost always solveable, but the fix will depend on the nature of the problem, as well as your operating system.  So please let me know whether you're running Windows or mac OS (and which version), as well as which packs you've installed.

Message 2 of 24 (792 Views)

Re: I'm redownloading sims 3, it's been finalizing for a long time, is that norm

★★★ Novice

I have redownloaded sims3 (only the base game) through origin on my Macbook Air (2015) and the message "Unknown Error Occurred"

Message 3 of 24 (786 Views)

@brookiealison789  I split your posts into their own thread, since the issue is a bit different than that of the OP.

It sounds like you have a graphics card that's incompatible with TS3.  You'll need to edit the game's .sgr files to force recognition of your card.  This can be a bit tricky if you're not familiar with the process, but I can help you get the text right.  Just provide your computer's full specs, along with the device ID of your card.  Here's how to find that information:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

Or, if you see your card on the list in the link above, just follow the instructions to add the proper text to your files.  Be sure to edit both graphicscards and graphicsrules.sgr.

Message 4 of 24 (775 Views)

★★★ Novice

i found the device ID: 

0x1626

Message 5 of 24 (766 Views)

@brookiealison789  Thanks for the device ID.  I'd still like to know the model of your card, so I know what to call it in the edited files.  It will be listed with your other specs.

Message 6 of 24 (758 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is this it ?

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Thanks so much for helping me! 

Message 7 of 24 (756 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@brookiealison789  That's perfect.  The edited text for both files is actually already available, on this list:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesconfirmed

Be sure to download the files for both graphicscards and graphicsrules.

To add the text, you'll first need to find your .sgr files.  Right-click (two finger click, or crtl-click) on the icon for the Sims 3 base game in Applications, and select Show Package Contents.  From there, the path is:

Contents\Resources\transgaming\c_drive\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Right-click on graphicscards.sgr and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and select Paste.  Do the same for graphicsrules.sgr.  These will be your backup copies, in case you need to put them back for whatever reason.

Now open the downloaded text file for graphicscards.  Cmd-A to highlight the whole text, then cmd-C to copy it.  Open your own graphicscards, the one in the Bin folder, and cmd-A to hightlight the text, then cmd-V to paste Bluebellflora's text over yours.  Do the same with graphicsrules—copy the downloaded text from Bluebellflora, then paste it into your own file.  Then try to launch the game.

This should work fine; the same text has been used by other players with your exact model of graphics card.  But if you still get an unknown error, let me know, and we'll try to figure  it out.  Please also tell me if you've ever had TS3 installed on this computer before—there may be some files left over from the previous install that need to be cleaned out.

And I'm always happy to help.  I still love TS3, so it's nice to see that other people want to play as well.

Message 8 of 24 (752 Views)

★★★ Novice

when I tried opening the new graphicscards.sgr file i downloaded the message comes up "

There is no application set to open the document “GraphicsCards.sgr”

Message 9 of 24 (742 Views)

@brookiealison789  Right-click and select Open With, then choose TextEdit.  It works just fine.

Message 10 of 24 (740 Views)