Re: "There was an error during startup. Please see the Log for more details

by hrmnightstar

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

it does not work for me and I love playing the sims3 but now I cant play it, I have searched the internet for answers but everything I try doesn't work plz help me somebodyConfusedmileysad:

Spoiler

@mareikebeam wrote:

My dad showed me what the problem was. If your account(computer account) is a standard user, you have to right click the icon and run as an administrater because your privileges are insufficient to run the launcher and update the game. As soon as I did that my launcher popped right up. But he also told me that before running the game I needed to exit out of the launcher and reopen it, not running as an admin. because it wouldn't have any of my saved content.

Message 21 of 42 (3,638 Views)

★★★ Newbie

um i tried that and it still says that  "There was an error during startup. Please see the Log for more details do u have any other id

@mareikebeam wrote:

My dad showed me what the problem was. If your account(computer account) is a standard user, you have to right click the icon and run as an administrater because your privileges are insufficient to run the launcher and update the game. As soon as I did that my launcher popped right up. But he also told me that before running the game I needed to exit out of the launcher and reopen it, not running as an admin. because it wouldn't have any of my saved content.

eads

Message 22 of 42 (3,547 Views)

★★★ Newbie

how do u change the user to admin this is my brothers laptop and he's the computer nerd in the family but wont help me 

Message 23 of 42 (3,527 Views)

★★ Novice

what icon do you need to right click to run as administrator?

Message 24 of 42 (3,469 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Here's something interesting I found.

I was having a problem with the game about a year ago. I had installed it using a disk, and then bought online expansions. My dad(who's a tech expert) didn't know how to fix the problem, so I called customer support.

We all know how helpful they are.

So they told me to backup my files, uninstall the game, and re-install it. My laptop doesn't have a dvd drive, so I used Origin. For some reason, the version defaults to 1.0 when you download it from Origin, making it harder and harder to install updates as time goes by.

After re-installing it too many times using Origin, it would give me the same message you got.

I got bored one day and decided it'd probably be faster to install the game from the disk- I had found my external dvd drive and my old disk that I hadn't used since I first installed the game.

That... was yesterday.

I installed it, it worked fine, it gave me a message that I needed to update my game... I groaned. Of course, I didn't think it would actually work!

Then... I looked at my version number.

Not 1.0, like I had assumed.

When installing from the disk... it actually installed the version the disk had come with!

So, I said, maybe it'll work this time! After all, the error only pops up after updating.

See, the thing is, my dad had said that maybe the way EA set up the updater would only work if you were one or two versions behind, not 6. And he was right!

So I guess what I'm saying here, is... if you bought the game with a disc, have you tried installing it from the disk and updating from there? I've since installed all of my digital expansions, and my game works perfectly! Although, in certain packages, there are problems with Showtime and University. I'd get those digitally, if I were you.

Good luck!

~Grace

Message 25 of 42 (3,465 Views)

★★ Novice

@mareikebeam wrote:

Hi. I was wondering how exactly you do this. I understand almost all of it, but how do I find my "computer account?" Please Help. I wanna play my sims SO bad!

Message 26 of 42 (3,410 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Bump. Just so you know, 3 years later from the original post this issue is STILL NOT FIXED. 

I'm still having this problem. If indeed a working solution has been found. Please post it. 

Message 27 of 42 (3,321 Views)

★★★ Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1xbd4gWjU

solution in the comments 

basically just install revo uninstaller and have it uninstall all the expansions you do not have 

Message 28 of 42 (3,134 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Me too!!

Message 29 of 42 (3,068 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I agree with everything you typed. I think there may be different issues with different files, ect but this is the only message one receives. When I try to access the "log" it comes up in notepad, oldest to newest, and nothing on there makes any sense. One day it will launch, the next the error message pops up. Teeth bared

Message 30 of 42 (3,003 Views)