Re: "Sims 4 is already running"

by amygamie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"Sims 4 is already running"

★★ Novice

Hi, so I bought sims 4 because its was on 75% discount and I installed origin and the game. The problem is that it appears that message and I already uninstalled and installed both origin and sims 4

Please help me, it was a gift for my girlfriend and she can't help 

I've been searching hours and hours and I cant fix it

Thank you

Message 1 of 45 (61,685 Views)

Accepted Solution

@danieloje99  This error usually has to do with an antivirus/firewall blocking the game.  Please set exceptions in whatever app(s) you use for Origin.exe, TS4.exe, and TS4_x64.exe.  If that doesn't help, check to see whether you've enabled Controlled Folder Access, a feature of Windows Defender.  If so, here's how to change the settings:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

Here are a few other steps that can help with this particular error:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2015/08/game-already-running/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 45 (61,620 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Sometimes that can happen when your computer still has the game registered as running in the task manager. hold down CTRL + ALT + DELETE and select the task manager option to open the task manager. If you see Sims4 listed as a program running, you can open up a click tab with a right click and select to manually shut it down with "End Task". Sometimes programs do not fully shut down all the way and this is a good way to check to see what is running in the background or to fix this issue. You should go ahead and restart your computer anyways. Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 45 (61,628 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay. So how do I register the game as a non running?

Message 3 of 45 (61,622 Views)

★★ Novice

Also, I can't find the "electronic arts folder". I think that is because I cant play the game yet

Message 4 of 45 (61,620 Views)

@danieloje99  This error usually has to do with an antivirus/firewall blocking the game.  Please set exceptions in whatever app(s) you use for Origin.exe, TS4.exe, and TS4_x64.exe.  If that doesn't help, check to see whether you've enabled Controlled Folder Access, a feature of Windows Defender.  If so, here's how to change the settings:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

Here are a few other steps that can help with this particular error:

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 45 (61,621 Views)

★★ Novice

YES!! It was the controlled folder access!! I turned off both sims files and it worked!! Thanks guys, really!! 

Message 6 of 45 (61,612 Views)

★ Novice
if anyone is still looking for an answer to this simply log out of origin and run as an admin.

1. Log out of origin
2. use the task mnanager to shut it down
3. launch origin as an admin
4. login with the account that sims 4 is on
5. launch sims 4

if this all isn't working make sure your computer is completely up to date and you have the latest version of origin and then try the above process again.
Message 7 of 45 (60,221 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone! so I suck with computers and had no idea what happened. I had this issue and then followed Option B on this page: 

because option b looked easier. That didnt fix.

I then did option A which took AGES to figure out what it wanted me to do. I figured it out, did it, and it STILL gave me the error. 

So then. I uninstalled sims 4, reinstalled it, didnt work

THeN, I did Option A AGAIN and then it was fixed.

I hope this helps, nothing was working but i just kept at it until it was fixed. Good luck! 

Message 8 of 45 (57,828 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you this worked!

Message 9 of 45 (49,034 Views)

★★★ Novice

i have had this issue for 3 days, i have done all these steps and still cant play my game, for the company portal it says it doesn't recognize my email. At This point I am so done, but for all the money I have spent, since I own every pack and expansion this is very frustrating, Since this is the only game on origin or ea for that matter that i play.  And Like most my laptop was purchased just to play this game, and even purchased an a portable drive, at this point I want ea to fix it. I am not tech savvy so i feel i am just messing the laptop even more with all these fixes

Message 10 of 45 (48,178 Views)