"Can't run Sims 4 with this Video Card"

by sentari559

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"Can't run Sims 4 with this Video Card"

★★★ Novice

I posted this yesterday, but the topic it was attached to is marked 'solved', and it doesn't look like it's being monitored anymore.

I just purchased The Sims 4 and City Living expansion, and on startup the following error message interupts as soon as the window attempts to launch

"Unable to Start:

Can't run The Sims 4 with the Video card in theis system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed.

[0e6d1221:1df4e8dc80010000:00000000]"

I am running a desktop PC with Windows 10

My video card is a Radeon RX 480, and has the latest drivers installed. 'Switchable Graphics settings' are not an available option available in my system settings

I have spent hours searching and trying as many of the solutions I could find here and on other forums, and am at a loss.

DXDiag included below.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 15 (722 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "Can't run Sims 4 with this Video Card"

★★★ Novice

@roberta591@jpkarlsen

I'm going to list this as solved, as I managed to get the game to run in windowed mode, though I have no idea how or why it suddenly startd doing so. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and since this seems to have eben as confusing for you guys as it has for me, let's just leave it here.

Thank you both for the help and sugestions

View in thread

Message 13 of 15 (1,068 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@sentari559

I looked through your dxdiag yesterday and had no idea what the reason could be, so I hoped someone else would answer. Angel

Tagging @roberta591, do you have any clue?

Sentari I know you wrote that you've tested everything you could find more or less, but if you could list some things you've done it's easier for us not to give you the exact same tips again Standard smile

Message 2 of 15 (717 Views)

★★★ Novice
Clean install of the Radeon control center from an earleir version, and clean install of drivers from an earlier version
Clean install of origin, shutting of of Origin in game, attempting to run offline, attempting to run direct from the exe and same offline
in Radeon Gameing settings attempting to run after changing each available option to see if that triggers some forced GPU switch
I even found one promising lead on a sims 3 post where the list of GPU's in one of the files hadn't updated correctly, but eitehr the filename/location was different and I was being blind, or Sims 4 uses a different file

I've probably missed a whole bunch of solutions but was getting rather frustrated/flustered after a while
Message 3 of 15 (709 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please try to completely remove the driver then download the latest from AMD and install that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 15 (706 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@sentari559  Have you tried running the game with only one monitor? Free space on the system drive may be too little. You have two different monitors connected with two different resolutions. This could cause issues with a game that configures itself for the video.

Message 5 of 15 (697 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@jpkarlsenI have just completed doing so as set out on AMD's site detailing the steps for this

Unfortunatly, that doesn't appear to have made any difference Frown

Message 6 of 15 (674 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@roberta591 Just tried this, same result unfortunatly. Was worth a try

Message 7 of 15 (673 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@sentari559

Try running Origin as Admin and start the game from there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 8 of 15 (664 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@sentari559  Did you try to free up some space on the system drive? In the user data files there is a file config.log - look to see if there is a line about the video card that says found:  1, supported  1. If it says found 0, supported 0 then the entry in the game data base is wrong. You have to post your dxdiag - how to post your computer's dxdiag  to see if the entry in the game database is correct. I saw a post that reported the entry may be incorrect.

Message 9 of 15 (659 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591My DxDiag is attached to my first post

This is the GPU relevant bit from my config.log. Unfortunatly it does not appear to  be the cause of the issue.

=== Graphics device info ===
Number:          0
Name (driver):   Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Name (database): AMD Radeon R9 480, 570, and 580 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor:          ATI
Chipset:         Vendor: 1002, Device: 67df, Board: 04a81043, Chipset: 00c7
Driver:          aticfx64.dll, Version: 23.20.15025.1004, GUID: D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-1F70-191E7CC2DA35
Driver version:  1004
Monitor:         \\.\DISPLAY2
Texture memory:  4041MB
Vertex program:  3.0
Pixel program:   3.0
Hardware TnL:    1
Opt. features:   +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

HOWEVER, in that file, under the ===Default Options=== section, I've found that it is setting the resolution as follows

ResolutionWidth 2023
ResolutionHeight 1138

ResolutionRefresh 4294967295

Whereas in the ===Options=== section it is using

ResolutionWidth 1920
ResolutionHeight 1080
ResolutionRefresh 30

the ===Options=== section is correct for my monitor setup, so I am going to try adjusting the ===Default Options=== version to match and will post again with the results

Message 10 of 15 (655 Views)