Re: origin preventing me form installing the game

by EA_Aljo

Original Post

origin preventing me form installing the game

★★★★★ Newbie

why do i get the error message "you must be online when logging in for the first time" while am trying to install the game on my computer? even those am already online

Message 1 of 6 (391 Views)

Community Manager

You should check your proxy server settings.

- Open the Windows control panel.

- Click on Networking.

- Click on Internet Options

- Click on the Connections tab

- Click on the button at the bottom that says LAN Settings.

-  Is the box next to 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' checked? If so, uncheck it and hit OK. Then click OK again.

Now, see if you get that same error. If you do, check to see if that box re-checked itself. If it did then you possibly have some malware that keeps enabling the proxy server setting. You may want to check your add/remove programs list for things like GorillaPrice, canadaalltax.com and shopndrop. Those are a few common ones, but there are more. If you have any of those you'll need to remove them with some malware removal software.

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 6 (385 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

what if i still get the error message but the ""use proxy server for your lan is unchecked?

Message 3 of 6 (381 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Other things you may want to try:

http://help.ea.com/en/article/connection-issues-with-origin/#1

If you can’t connect to Origin, it’s usually due to a blockage of data somewhere along the route of your Internet connection.

Some of the things that can get between Origin and the internet can be:

• Firewalls and Internet Security Software: Make sure that you’ve added the Origin client as an exception to any Firewalls or other Internet Security Software, like Ad-Block, you may have running so that your connection to our servers isn’t blocked.
  • Your software may even have some internet ports blocked. If so, the following are used by the Origin client and must be open for a smooth connection:
    • TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
    • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900
  • Server outages: Servers will sometimes just go down, whether due to maintenance or an issue. Typically an outage can last anywhere from a few minutes to days. Check the official website for the game you are trying to access, or the official game forums, and right here at help.ea.com for any information on server outages and maintenances.

Also make sure to reset your hosts file if this doesn't help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Make sure Origin and the game are added to the white lists of your firewall and antivirus.

If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 4 of 6 (370 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

i did all that and i still get the same error message

Message 5 of 6 (366 Views)

Community Manager

There are some other suggestions here from MorningTimeCloud - http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/HOW-TO-Fixing-quot-Origin-Login-Unavailable-quot/td-p/3218195

Specifically this - 

If the issue persists, delete the Origin Offline Cache file.

1. Close Origin completely by right clicking the Origin system tray icon and selecting Exit.
  2. Navigate to the Offline Cache file.
    • Win 7/Vista/Win8: C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache\
    • Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Electronic Arts\Origin\DownloadCache\

Note: These files might be hidden, if so, press Alt, select Tools, then Folder Options.  
Select the View tab, then check Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

1. Delete the Offline Cache file.
  2. Reset the Windows Host File: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
  3. Reboot your computer.
  4. Run Origin and login.
Aljo.png
Message 6 of 6 (344 Views)