Re: new install windows 11 can't start damaged or missing game files

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

★★★ Novice

I tried the main account and it's still giving the error message

Message 11 of 16 (2,213 Views)

@yenot-raccoon  Do you have OneDrive running in your main Windows account?  I thought I'd asked this before, but apparently not.  If you do, please pause syncing and cancel the current sync, then try playing again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-to-cancel-or-stop-sync-in-onedrive-4885c27e-3d89-4d69...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 16 (2,203 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't have OneDrive running.

Message 13 of 16 (2,193 Views)

@yenot-raccoon  Please check whether Controlled Folder Access is running, and if so, disable it long enough to test.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/03/windows-10-defender-controlled-folder-access.html

If that helps, you can try setting exceptions for TS4_x64.exe and Origin.exe.

If changing the settings doesn't help, or CFA isn't running at all, you can try using the takeown command on your Documents folder.  You're going to use this command:

takeown /F "C:\Users\username\Documents"

Write your actual username for this Windows account (your main one) instead of username.  Since the syntax needs to be exactly right, please copy this command to a Notepad file, substitute in your username, and then copy that string when you're ready to use it.  Hit Windows key-X and choose either "PowerShell (Administrator)" or "Windows Terminal (Administrator)," whichever option is offered, and paste the command into the window.

Just to be thorough, please move the Electronic Arts folder out of Documents, if it's still there, before trying to play.

Message 14 of 16 (3,032 Views)

★★★ Novice

the takeown command worked and I can run sims 4 from my main account now.  Thank you for your patience and perseverance in helping me resolve this issue.  I really appreciate your help.  The next test will be if I can move my save game files in and still have it run!  In the meantime I'm downloading the rest of my content as I only installed the base game while trying to get it running.  Thank you again for all your time and help

Yenot Raccoon 

Message 15 of 16 (2,148 Views)

@yenot-raccoon  I'm so glad to hear this worked.  Let me know if you need any more help, and otherwise, enjoy your game.

Message 16 of 16 (2,129 Views)