Re: my sims 4 won't start: white screen

by burin077

Original Post

Accepted Solution

my sims 4 won't start: white screen

★★ Novice

it's been like this over a month or so. i try to start the game but it only shows the intro and then close to the closing box (see photo 1) and then if i maximize it just shows white. can't do anything at all. i have to restart my laptop so it goes away. also repaired the game over and over again and nothing happens . not sure what's causing it. could be the mods, even tho i have them all up to date???

Message 1 of 42 (68,601 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Guide
Seraphites;

Have you attempted to force the config file to fix this? Try this:
- Go to C:\Users\User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4
- Copy the config.log file and paste it to the desktop temporarily.
- Open the config.log file still in The Sims 4 folder.
- CTRL+F to bring up the Find tool.
- Type "FullScreen" and hit enter. (This should bring you to a line under the Options column.)
- If it's currently set to 1, set it to 0.
- Do the same for the "WindowedFullScreen" line below, set it to 0.
- Save and Close.
- Re-Run Sims 4, see if it opens in a Window, or at least attempts to open by determining the changed settings.
(If this works, you can safely remove the previous config.log file saved on the desktop. If it doesn't work, close Sims 4, delete the config.log file in The Sims 4 folder, and copy/paste the config.log file from the desktop to The Sims 4 folder.)

Let me know if those steps help; essentially by changing those settings, the aim is to manually change the game's window options on startup.

- B

View in thread

Message 4 of 42 (68,572 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide
Hey there daisyx18;

Could you temporarily remove the mods (Put them in a folder on your desktop) and re-run the game? See if you get the same result.

- B
Message 2 of 42 (68,576 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same trouble myself. I believe it happened to me because i forgot to go back into fullscreen mode before I closed my game. I've already tried removing my mods, it wouldn't work. So I tried to fix it in origin using game properties and typing in -w for fullscreen, but the same thing happens.

Message 3 of 42 (68,572 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Seraphites;

Have you attempted to force the config file to fix this? Try this:
- Go to C:\Users\User\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4
- Copy the config.log file and paste it to the desktop temporarily.
- Open the config.log file still in The Sims 4 folder.
- CTRL+F to bring up the Find tool.
- Type "FullScreen" and hit enter. (This should bring you to a line under the Options column.)
- If it's currently set to 1, set it to 0.
- Do the same for the "WindowedFullScreen" line below, set it to 0.
- Save and Close.
- Re-Run Sims 4, see if it opens in a Window, or at least attempts to open by determining the changed settings.
(If this works, you can safely remove the previous config.log file saved on the desktop. If it doesn't work, close Sims 4, delete the config.log file in The Sims 4 folder, and copy/paste the config.log file from the desktop to The Sims 4 folder.)

Let me know if those steps help; essentially by changing those settings, the aim is to manually change the game's window options on startup.

- B
Message 4 of 42 (68,573 Views)

★★ Novice

I’ve been having the same issue I’ve removed my mods folder, save files and reinstalled both origin and sims 4 and it still pops up in windowed mode with a white screen. I just tried what you recommended and it still doesn’t work, anyone have any ideas to get it back to full screen so it fixes ?

Message 5 of 42 (68,485 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@SimplayShel

Reinstalling the game has nothing to do with the problems in your current saves.
The game is reinstalled in the Program Files installation folder when second game folder - your current game including your saves can be found in the Documents folder

.REMOVING THE MODS ISN'T ENOUGH
If you have not already done so move the mods folder to the desktop.
Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder!!! This is important because it applies to the errors of the game also.

Turn on the game to create a new, empty mods folder and check if a game is working now without mods and CC and after deleting this file
Check if there are new updated versions of the mods and CC you are using.
Then copy from desktop your mods and CC and paste it in the new mods folder. First, paste script mods one by one every time checking if the game is OK. Do the same with CC but if you have a lot of this, try the 50/50 method. ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
You need to find a culprit and either remove it or replace it with an updated version

I don't work for EA

Message 6 of 42 (68,473 Views)

★★ Novice
@kreatora I’ve tried all of that the only thing that worked was right clicking on the game in origin going to game properties and imputing -f
Message 7 of 42 (68,451 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@SimplayShel

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?
To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the text file to your post directly in option "Reply" - not Quick Reply
Message 8 of 42 (68,435 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you!!!!!!!

Message 9 of 42 (66,895 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi! i am currently experiencing the same issue as above, I followed your instructions and have me DXdiag, where would I post that to?

Message 10 of 42 (65,997 Views)